Over Wintering Exotics

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Nik, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Now that the EU have banned those evil smelling but effective smoke cones, what do peeps use to kill off greenfly etc in their heated greenhouses?
    I have tried those smoke coils that you can get from camping shops, with some success. Each coil lasts for approx 8 hours, and about 1 hours worth seems to be enough, repeated every 2 or 3 weeks, to keep the greenfly, and anything else with wings, controlled.
    The smell is OK as well. :D Important, because we have lunch in the outhouse in winter whenever we can.
    Nik

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I shall be trying to keep my new greenhouse frost -free this winter, so will have to try them. Does anyone know if they would be harmful to frogs and toads, as I wouldn't like to hurt the ones lurking in corners.
    This summer we found burning incense sticks around us in the evening in the garden kept away insects very pleasantly and effectively. Nag Champa seems to be the most disliked!
    Has anyone any tips about bees and butterflies in the greenhouse? I've spent ages this summer rescuing frantically buzzing and fluttering creatures. I've invested in a goldfish net, but perhaps there is an easier way of letting them out?

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pravado drench before putting in - bug clear or the ilk and simple squishing seems to work for me :D

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Re keeping out the flitterers - a door screen either netting or thin plastic strips keeps incursion to the minimum for me - and the birds out! Though not totally.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I keep an aerosol of provado handy through the winter and spot treat any pests I see. The aerosol is much better than the ready mixed insectacide that drenches everything in water which doesn't dry out in the winter.