Overcrowded Turnips

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by clueless1, Aug 13, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Evening/Morning all.

A couple of weeks or so ago I sowed some turnips, and they're coming along nicely. The only trouble is I sowed them too densely expecting about half to fail, but most germinated.

My instincts tell me that because they're a root veg, they shouldn't be moved. Is this right?

If I can get away with it I don't really want to move them. Being so late in the season I'm not too bothered about getting the roots off them, but will I still be able to use the tops?

I read somewhere that turnip leaves are the 'spring greens' we get really cheap in supermarkets. If that's right then great, because I love 'spring greens' lightly steamed with my sunday dinner.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Turnip tops are not spring greens but they are a mild tasty vegetable. They became very popular during the war.

If the turnips are really crammed then you won't get a good crop of tops either as the roots won't grow sufficiently to feed them. If they are very recently sown you can try a very careful thinning out and replanting of the excess and see how they go.

An old traditional country use of planting turnips is as a barrier to couch grass. Apparently the grass doesn't like growing near the turnips. We tried it many years ago to stop the couch grass coming through the hedge from our neighbour's neglected garden. It seemed to do the trick and we had the tops as a veggie :dbgrtmb:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep em wet when you transplant them, I transplant Mizuna, which is half Turnip, half Mobile Phone.

They bolt if they dry out, but otherwise no problem.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455