Overgrown Cistus

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Morro, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Morro

Morro Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have Cistus which has become too large and is casting a shadow on other plants. I've read they don't like being pruned. I don't want to get rid of it as it flowers profusely. Just need to make it a more manageable size. Any advice will be most welcome. Thanks in advance of replies.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,287
    Hi,

Its not a plant we have grown and as you say they typically only respond to cutting back this years tender new growth and do not like being cut back into old wood, which it sounds like you need to do to overcome your shading problem.

Think your only solution is to either buy a small new plant or to take some softwood cuttings of your existing plant if you like its colour.

As a temporary fix for this summer can you put a stake behind the Cistus and carefully draw the bush in and back with some string etc ? Might not look too good but your other plants should do better with more light.

Have a read here on how to take cuttings -
    How to grow Cistus / RHS Gardening