Overhauling a border

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Flowery, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Flowery

Flowery Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi eveyone, We moved here last year and have a very tired herbaceous border. I feel I want to strip the whole thing out and start again, though dividing and keeping a few of the existing plants, but in different positions. I would be putting in a lot of new plants too. My question is when to do this. Autumn or spring? And does it depend on whether the plants are existing ones or new ones? And, if autumn, how early can I start (it's such a mess at the moment the earlier the better)? I appreciate this is a very basic beginner's question but any thoughts much appreciated.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Flowery & welcome to gardeners corner.

I'll move this into General Gardening discussion as only the cleaners go into the " how to" section.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,882
      Hi Flowery,
      Any shrubs or perrenial flowers that you want to move I would leave until 'die back' late autumn or winter. That goes for old and new plants. If you dig any annuals out now they will probably die. Any bulbs that aren't flowering at the moment can be dug out now if necesssary.

Hope this helps. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +73
        Hi Flowery and welcome to the forum.

Autumn or early spring for me. Agree with Sheal that you ought to wait for the perennials to die back but I often move plants around at other times, especially when the soil is warm as they seem to settle down more easily. You can always dig out the plants you are getting rid of and plant new ones if they are well rooted in pots.
        Good luck with the new garden.....

• Like Like x 2
        • Flowery

Flowery Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          Thank you....I'll resist tackling it for as long as I can! Advice much appreciated.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Yes, Barnaby and Sheal are giving good advice, as usual.:D If you do move any plants now then try to ensure that you water them well at least half an hour before doing so. Try to keep plenty of soil around the root area and water them well after planting, and if you can remember, for a week or two afterwards:D:thumbsup: