Overseeding new turf

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Tim Shields, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Tim Shields

Tim Shields Gardener

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi all,

So, the duff turf I got a couple of weeks ago is finally starting to slowly grow (after keeping it watered as per advice on here - thanks guys). However, there are quite a few patches where there is a lot of dead material in with the growth - especially at some of the turf joins.

As I got a decent refund on the turf, I'm considering some overseeding - going to mix 50/50 top soil / sharp sand (we are reasonably heavy clay) along with some seed and lay it down in a thin layer - a little thicker on the turf seams where there is little live grass.

Is this a good idea ? Is this the way forward?

Thanks for the help again all

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    It is a good idea Tim but I wouldn't do it just yet. :) If the turf has only been down a couple of weeks then the root system won't be fully established. If you over seed now with compost and sand it could cause more damage by starving the current turf of air. The whole country has had a lot of rainfall recently and that won't help your new lawn as it washes nutrients from the soil, I'd also ease off on the watering now, perhaps every two to three days if there's no rain.

I would leave over seeding until the end of June when the turf roots should be more developed. Whatever you do don't feed it, it won't help it's current situation. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Tim Shields

Tim Shields Gardener

IT Geek
      Ratings:
      +60
      Brilliant - thanks Sheal! Will hold off for now then....

... and as a bonus, it gives me a day of my weekend back!

• Like Like x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,889
        Enjoy your weekend! :)