Overwintering container grown Euphorbia

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Jane Lee, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Jane Lee

Jane Lee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I've just bought three beautiful euphorbias "Tasmanian Tiger" to grow in large containers. Can anyone advise me on the best way (hopefully not too difficult) to see them through the winter?

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Yes Jane

They are not too difficult. They are hardy, tough, evergreen and adaptable. They are very attractive in my opinion too :)

I have only grown them in the open ground but I would use john innes number 3 compost and keep them fairly dry esp over winter. They do not like being moved too often either. You can grow them in sun or partial shade.....in partial shade I think their variegated foliage shows up best.
      I would also put a few chippings down after planting......to reflect the foliage, stabilise moisture levels and simply look good:)

When they flower remove the flowered stem.....in mid spring.

Be aware, all euphorbias have a toxic, caustic sap so be careful when cutting them:)

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
      • Jane Lee

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks Verdun. I wasn't sure whether they would be hardy, having read they need winter protection. Temperatures here have been known to drop to -11. I have all three in containers near a wall and south facing so I'm hoping that will give them some protection.

Like you suggested, I used john innes number 3 compost. And horticultural grit to top dress them. When temperatures start to plummet I think I'll add bark chippings as extra protection.

I hope I do get a chance to see them flower. Fingers crossed this will be a mild winter. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          No, not bark Jane. If you are concerned when temps drop very low cover with a fleece :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Jane Lee

Ratings:
            +3
            Thank you again Verdun. Yes I can see the wisdom in that. Will do. :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hello @Jane Lee :sign0016: to GC and nice to have you with us :)

Your in excellent hands with Verdun as his garden and plants are out standing to the eye :love30: