Overwintering Geraniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Sep 4, 2009.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Hi all

My mum has a load of geraniums in containers, which she is sentimentally attached to, so simply replacing them next spring is not the best option.

There are too many to bring into the house.

Will she be able to keep them alive over winter? She is not green fingered, so any solution needs to be simple.

I guess the trick is to keep them from freezing, or being battered by seawater vapour laden winter gales (she lives right on the coast). Is that right? Any ideas how she'd do that?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Will she be able to keep them alive over winter?"

I would expect most/many to survive being fairly much abandoned in a frost free garage / shed. Don't water them much during the winter. A bit of light will help, of course, and pitch black darkness would be bad news ...

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I've taken cuttings and grown them inside over winter, but they don't really seem as good the next year as they were the first. Probably too warm for them inside - they went a bit leggy and bare, even with pruning.