Pak Choi , What Now ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by HarryS, Jun 12, 2013.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Well my Wilkos Pak Choi have done really well , thanks Pamsdish :dbgrtmb: They are about 5" tall now . Is this OK to eat as baby veg ? Do I cut them off at the stem , will they regrow. Or is it best to pull them out and resow ?
    Any ideas on how to eat them ?
    Sorry for the multitude of questions but we have never grown them before !

TIA

2. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Heres what I do.

Cut the entire plant off at the base, wash, heat the wok with some olive oil until its smoking & chuck them in - stir fry for 30 seconds or so then add some soy & a little boiling water (better with chicken stock, or a stock cube), cook for another 60 seconds or so & eat. Cook for longer if its a bigger plant. Good with things with rice.

yum yum yum.

Then plant some more :-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
      Ratings:
      +1,069
      I too cut them off at the base they will not come again so need re sowing
      I cut the leaf down the centre and use in stir frys or just cut the hole plant in half and put it in a griddle pan for a few minutes with a touch of oil and butter

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        Thanks Nick and Richard , I'll cut them off at the base . From what I can find on the web , it seems that baby pak choi ( up to 5" tall ) is used as a salad leaf , when it grows larger and develops a heart it can be used for stir fry or steaming . There a lots of recipes on you tube :dbgrtmb: I think Richards , griddle with oil and butter , will be fine for the first go !

• HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,257
        Last year we let ours grow a little bigger than 5" then carefully cut off some of the larger leaves. New growth then appeared where they joined the stem. The new growth can be allowed to grow on then used as baby pak choi (though we've never eaten them in salads preferring them cooked). With the bigger leaves we separate the stems from the leaves, chop them up, stir fry the stems for a minute or so then add the leaves for another minute, add oyster sauce and eat. Delicious.

Also good with garlic, or just black pepper, or dried shrimps, or dried Chinese mushrooms.

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Thanks Hsuh , that sounds easy enough even for me to do ! A few more great ideas there , I really do hope I like them ....................