Pak Choi

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by blacksmith, Sep 2, 2011.

1. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    Hi, I am growing some Pak Choi for the first time and they have grown seed heads, they are about 250mm high so I doubt they are ready to harvest so what is the best thing to do please?

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi blacksmith.

I know absolutely nothing about Pak Choi, but my guess is that if there are seed heads, then they are 'bolting', which is not good. You say they are "about 250mm high" which implies that they should be taller. Sounds like at some stage they have become stressed, hence the bolting. I would use them up as quickly as possible, selecting the ones that have bolted the least. The rest? I would bin them. In fact, I would probably bin the lot. But as I said, I know nothing about these, so maybe someone more enlightened can advise you further.

Cheers...Freddy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Yep, they've bolted. You might be able to salvage a few leaves, had little sucess with them myself this year.

• Like Like x 1
      • blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
        +147
        Thanks guys, I have been reading up a bit on them and it seems the original info I aquired was a little misleading, apparently they do not like long days of sunlight as their natural environment has shorter days during summer, so it is best to grow them early in the season or late, if you do grow them in high summer use them small.
        I don't know if all this is accurate but next year I will try it out and see.