Pale yellow "wildflower" - native to Scotland?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Soup, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Soup

Soup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me if this description is a little vague, you all enjoy a challenge - right? :D

I first saw this plant on the A74M (Carlisle -> Glasgow road) there are huge areas of it growing, much like a clump of Daffodil bulbs, and it seems to be able to thrive in wild couch grass infested areas. (Motorway embankments)

The plant itself looks a lot like a single stem cut from a Yellow fig leafed hollyhock;
    http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/alcea_rugosa_yellow.htm

It's about 18 inches high with the top 6 inches full of very pale yellow flowers.

It flowers end July / early August and I have never seen it thrive anywhere south of Carlisle.

I was sure this would be in a wild flower identification book I have at home, so I didn't bother snapping a picture. Well the book is either completely pants or its a foreign species introduced after 1992.

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Oenothera biennis perhaps?[​IMG]

3. Soup

Soup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good suggestion Ivory, but the flowers looked paler and the stems seemed shorter. I'm sure I would have recognized these if they were Evening Primroses as we planted several in the cutting.
    Or should I get my eyes tested and drive a little slower .....

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I would guess a Mullein. There tend to be lots around here this year-very eyecatching.