Pampas grass

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spewy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Spewy

Spewy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Could someone tell me how to maintain Pampas grass?

I have a large batch ( if thats the correct term )groing in the middle of my lawn. It is quite big and i don't want it to grow any more.

How do I stop it?
    Can it be reduced?

Much appreciate any replies.

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Andy,judging by this and your other post I don't think you're too keen on things that grow.
    Perhaps if you let it spread it will smother those weeds! :D :D
    When I thinned mine out I had to use a chainsaw because it was so blinkin' tough :eek:

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Beware, when trying to thin, or cut back pampas grass, the leaves are sharp, so strong gloves are a must.

I think it you don't want it to grow anymore, then you'd best remove it and chose a central plant more suitable to your taste. Easier said than done - the removal that is :D

4. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Andy, I have a pampas grass in my front garden it was inherited.
    The thought of removing it is has passed through my head several times (the pick axe beckons) but I have grown to really like it. I give it a really hard cut twice a year once very early in the year and then during the summer.I do this when all the flowers start to look sad and scruffy.
    I cut it into a small ball, then remove all the dead soggy bits in the centre. It flowers twice a year with more flowers each time, this also stops it getting any bigger as I am limited for space.
    dont forget to wear gloves and long sleeves as they are sharpe and can irritate the skin.

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Best way to 'cut back' pampas is to set fire to it! OK it may not be practical if you have a small garden, or a local council that frowns upon anything smokey (but you'll see loads of 'them' outside their offices lighting up during a cigarette break :rolleyes: ) Fire brigades can also be a bit sniffy about garden bonfires too. :D

Thing is, a quick fire will get rid of the sharp blades and also provide potash for the following new growth and it will not harm the roots. Alternatively, once you have leveled the plant you can set about it with a pick axe to remove it and the goodness will remain in the soil.