Pampass grass..

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kels, Sep 29, 2012.

1. kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all I have a large pampass grass in my from garden which is happy and looking good so far been in about 2months was moved from the back garden to the front. I'm not sure what type but it is a large plant it took two people to dig out and move. As I will be starting to put plants in the front soon I plan to put other grasses near this pampass grass. How far away from this plant should I put other plants as this plant tends to grow large up & out.

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    hi kels. Pampas grass to me it looks quite an overpowering plant which doesnt really need a lot around. I struggle to imagine a flower/bush or plant that looks in armony with this grass. In california it is considered an invasive plant because as you point out it is vey robust, with a big clump base. Besides it takes over other plants. Plus it withstand well frost as well as sunshine. If I had it in a front garden I would go for the "desert" look with sand,pebbles and big stones maybe also of terracotta colour.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,429
    Pampas can grow very large and, if you don't want to continually be having to cut it back you will need a couple of metres. Remember, also, that the leaves of the pampas are quite vicious so you don't want to be working too close to it if you need to tidy up other grasses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,881
      Don't know whether it is good practice or not, but I recall my dad burning the pampas grass in the front garden once in a while - it always came back with new growth, and didn't get out of hand size wise.

I agree with shiney though - the leaves are really vicious - my neighbour has one and some of the leaves had made their way into my garden (probably fallen or crept through before the new fence was put up); I found them as I was clearing up one of my borders, and found them by having two fingers ripped to shreds by them!

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,429
      Fire is the easiest way to deal with it and saves getting cut about by the leaves. If the leaves have died down quite a bit when you set fire to them I would caution you to stand back quickly. It has a habit of flaring up very quickly.

It doesn't do any harm to the plant but the black ashes can look unsightly until the new growth is up.

We tend to cut ours back but set fire to it every few years to clean it out properly.

• kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
      +27
      Thanks for all replys...I'm not worried about the leaves I know what to expect have had many in various gardens over the years in Africa that were very big. But there has always been other plants already there. This time I want to add plants..poss various grasses but was thinking about the distance maybe 3 foot poss 4 from from were the leaves are now. I have cut it back and its started from about half a foot been there about 3 months or so.I moved it from the back of the grounds to the front. Its happy so wont be moving it again, just plan to put something near the edging stones as a fill in.

Attached Files:

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,429
      Leaving 3ft should be OK and you could plant low growing grasses as a sort of groundcover alongside the space, before putting others dotted around. About 1ft high

P1130859.JPG

If you wanted to obscure the fence a bit during the spring summer and autumn you could grow something like Zebra grass which reaches a good 6ft in height.

P1130842.JPG

• Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Translator/Teacher
      Ratings:
      +1,081
      If I may prompt a combination, which I found in a Bulgarian friend's garden: pampass grass and lagerstroemia indica. To me it looks unusual, but very sophisticated, with the sculpture-like beauty of a water fountain:

[​IMG]
      And another one, with an older and better established plant:

[​IMG]

However, in Bulgaria it needs winter protection and would only develop to its full potential in the south of the country. I have a milder winter here, but summer sunshine is not enough in my woodland area, so I cannot grow it successfully (I assume).

Anyway, in most garden books it is shown as a stand-alone plant - just a bunch of ostrich feathers planted in the 'empty and level' nothingness, which is not a concept I particularly like. ;)

Good luck with it, Kels! :blue thumb:

• kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
      +27
      I have various climbers for the front & a virginia creeper to go along the side of the bungalow.

• kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
      +27
      Wow good pics I never thought of doing something like that,thats different.I tend to build of that corner of time with various height.Using particular colours which will run throught out the front. I wanted the pampass grass from the start in the front something diff not the normal front like the rest of the lane traditional.I want to be diff.As for standing alone thats not going to happen will have company of some sort.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        I reckon mine are about 8' diameter. They are just planted in the shruberry

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
        • Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
          +245
          I would plant permanent plants about 3 foot or more away, but use some shorter lived plants to fill the gaps for now.

• Like Like x 1
          • kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
            +27