Pampass

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by DoubleD, Mar 8, 2006.

1. DoubleD

DoubleD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All ! Am I correct in remembering that now is the time to burn your pampass grass or am I too late ? I'm sure the neighbours will love me!!!Regards DD

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,471
    Not sure about the time, others may have advice on that but the method is questionable as many beneficial insects such as ladybirds overwinter in Pampas and may still be in there. When I had a Pampas many years ago I cut down in November with a hedge trimmer and left it about a foot high. [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think you're best to check to see what new growth is up to - and if it's still low, you could trim to a bit above it - I cut to knee-height for preference, and I used hedge-trimmers too. IMO, it's too late to burn.

4. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    DEFINATELY DON'T BURN,
    you can use what ever means needed to remove the dead leaves, as long as the new ones are not cut.
    yes trim with hedge trimmer to above the new growth, or by hand, remembering to wear suitable hand protection, and arms covered.