Pansies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Patricia Marshall, May 14, 2012.

1. Patricia Marshall

Patricia Marshall Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Last summer I had a hanging basket of pansies which were quite beautiful. I thought they were annuals, so we just emptied the basket in the fall. This spring, I have pansies sprouting up everywhere.......under where the basket was, in the lawn (or what we laughingly call the lawwn) and in one of the nearby flower beds.
    Not that I am complaining because they are quite pretty but just wondered if this was normal. I am used to Violets, both purple & white and Johnny Jump Ups springing up everywhere in the grass but it's the first time I have ever seen actual pansies come up.
    My hubby keeps threatening to dig up all the violets (that green all summer thing again!) but he would be at for a long, long time because as fast as you dig up one, two more spring up somewhere else.
    Personally, I think they just add beautiful colour to the landscape. Just wish they bloomed longer!
    Pat

2. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    I think Ziggy our resident pansy expert will be along shortly to help you on this Pat :)

• Like Like x 3
    • moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +9,817
      Pansies are a biennual plant.

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +9,817
      Pansies are biennual and self seeding.

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      I picked self seeded pansy seedlings from my containers and planted on. I then had pansies to put in hanging baskets in the autumn last year.
      Baskets for free.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1