parasites in pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by miraflores, Mar 14, 2011.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [size=large]I read that one can use salt to get rid of parasites in ponds, have you ever tried?[/size]

2. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Yes salt does kill pond parasites, it also kills fish, plants, and anything else that is in the pond.

The "myth" if you will, comes from giving a fish a salt bath, it has to be the right salt and correct amount. Leave the parasites the fish will eat them.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I agree with Waterpond" let your fish, if you have any, in the pond sort the insects out and keep the balance of the pond within natures requirements.
    We tend to worry about such things and wonder whether or not we should attempt to add some chemical or other as a remedy, only to find we should have left well alone!

4. hugh

hugh Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi miraflores
    when you say you have parasites do you know which ones they are it would be much better if you could to remove the fish into a tank and let the parasites die of rather than treat the pond other than that it may be to much trouble to empty the bond give it a good clean out and leave empty for a week
    Hugh

5. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Hugh, you have given a suggestion, then a reason not to do it. It doesn't work anyway.
    If its a fish parasite they will go with the fish, then return, most folk call larve "parasites" Fish will eat these.

6. hugh

hugh Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi watergardenthe resin I suggested to transfer the fish to tank was that it would be easier to treat the fish that way, the parasites I was thinking of were gill flukes and skin flukes, leeches fish louse treated in the tank rather than destroying the ecosystem in the pond what maybe left would die of without a host the leech lasting the longest
    Hugh
    [size=small]