parking hazard

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nathan7, Dec 27, 2009.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Popped into Asda for some milk this morning, And again someone nearly got knocked down, Why do people park there cars in the bays by driving in, Surely it can be just as easy to reverse, in and when you come out off you jollywell go, Oh no not this morning, and most mornings, and afternoons, and night times, out they come regardless who is behind them reversing into something, or someone here in Wrexham there is going to be a bad bump anytime soon as you only need an old lady pushing her trolley and in the bad weather like we all have had, look out, Is it me or have other members of GC seen this problem :confsd:

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I think people drive into the bays rather than reverse into them 'cause it makes it easier to get to the boot to put the shopping away.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    My thoughts entirely cajary.

Its when people reverse in, that you get some moron run their trolley all the way down the side of your motor, to get to the boot.
    Most parking spaces in the UK were designed for 1950s cars, so your average motor these days is too wide, let alone those blood great trucks, (4WD) some people seem to like running around in.

It makes more sense to drive straight in as it causes less of a traffic jam, when reversing out, of course, its always best to look behind before doing so.

Modern cars do seem to have restricted rear view, or is that just me.

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I'm not so bothered about which way round people park in parking bays in supermarket car parks. The bigger problem is getting "dings" on your door panels from careless opening of doors.
    Traffic usually travels at a slow rate and it's easy enough to avoid other cars.

What really annoys me is people in the mornings backing out of their drives onto busy roads, when there's a lot of drivers in a hurry.
    In most instances they are parking up in the evenings when there is likely to be less traffic, so why can't they reverse in?

5. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've often wondered if UK driving tests actually include 'reversing' in the practical! We live on a windy and hilly country road, where you often have to reverse into a pull out, or, await the other vehicle to reverse into one if there is one closer to them. I often find it easier just to reverse up no matter how far back the pull out is - as a good number of drivers are just simply incapable of the task.

6. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How's this for parking in Downham Market, Norfolk on 3rd December then? The Transit driver was Yards from a car park (Behind his van), yet HAD to park outside the shop door, causing the shown problems when an artic tried to turn the corner, VERY nearly taking the front and one side of an Historic Hotel.

The driver of the Transit can be seen walking to his cab. He parked there for a good 10 minutes and Refused to move until he had made his delivery, then when he did move, he parked up blocking the door to the shop with the green name on and even when some pedestrians tried to get passed, he simply swore at them to cross over. I never saw the outcome, as I was just so glad to get away from there.
    [​IMG]

7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Reversing doesn't have to be hard.

If you know the gap is wide enough for your car, you only have to watch your driver's side and keep parallel to it and the other side will look after itself. You do have to look out for pedestrians, but some people seem incapable of reversing in a straight line.

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

Some drivers seem unaware of the Highway Code, on narrow roads on a hill if you meet head on and one car needs to reverse to allow the other to pass. It's the one coming down the hill that should reverse.

9. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for all your comments I thought it was just me it is so annoying and more so from someones drive on to a main road , Is it against the law to reverse on to the main road ?

10. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hehe, yes, but in order to do that - they need to be ABLE to reverse! I find it easier just to reverse whichever way I'm going. Sometimes, if someone is coming downhill, and they have a tanker with home oil or something in it behind them, it's just easier to be pleasant and back up for them as well.

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    At one time, it said in the Highway Code, that at a cross roads, if you met a car coming in the opposite direction and you both wanted to turn right, the drivers should turn behind the other. This I presume was because at one time, the chance of more than one car wanting to turn right was unlikely.

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Although I dont doubt that the transit van driver was a right pain in the backside, it does illustrate how bad the roads are in the UK, when an artic has to negotiate such a small town road.
    It obviously needs both side of the road just to negotiate the turn.
    These things should be kept out of town centres villages and residential areas:old:
    But If we did that, we would have no deliveries.:scratch:

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think the old rule of giving way to the vehicle coming up the hill goes back to the days when, if you stopped going up hill your chances of getting moving again were remote.
    We have moved on a bit since then, but if those wanting lower speed limits get their way, I'm sure it wont be long before we go back to a man walking in front with a red flag.

14. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

Hmm..

You're suggesting it'll be a "feast or famine" alternative?

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Not sure what your saying, but I fnd it very difficult to get out of third gear these days.
    Not good for my pocket or the enviroment.