Passion vine losing flowers

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by carrspaints, Jun 14, 2021.

1. carrspaints

carrspaints Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, we planted a passion vine and over the past week, the beautiful flowers have started to bloom. However, within 24 hours, each flower that blooms is gone. All that is left is the green leaf casing (consists of 4 delicate green leave that exists on the outside of the flowers before they open up).

We first had two flowers bloom. Next day, they were gone. They hadn't fallen off, they were nowhere to be seen on the garden bed or anywhere else. Two days later, another two flowers bloomed. Next day, they too were gone. Yesterday, one more bloomed and this morning, gone. Now we have but one left to bloom within the next day or two and I'd be surprised it that doesn't vanish as well.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Birds? Squirrels? As mentioned, these flowers are only a day old, they look exquisite and should last for weeks, but something is taking them and I have no idea what it could be. Anyone who knows, or has experienced similar, I'd love to hear from you.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Is it p.cerulea?
    Passion flowers only last one day. Especially in hot weather.

Later in the season you might get a few set, then you will end up with the egg shaped fruits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • carrspaints

carrspaints Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Lol. And here I am blaming our poor Robins and Squirrels. The actual description of ours is "Passiflora Caerulea". Odd because the back of the label states this has lovely two-toned blue & white flowers that flower all Summer. What is fails to mention is the flowers last a single day. Nature is so strange sometimes. Such an exquisite flower that lasts one day. Almost seems unfair on the plant putting all that effort in for a day. Thanks for your feedback.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,138
          My passiflora incarnata WOULD be flowering as well, if it wasn't for all the slugs eating it faster than it can grow. With lots of luck it has now reached a height that's out of our slugs reach, but it took a lot of personal care to get it there.

Would you mind sharing a picture?