Patchy McPatch Face :(

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by jamei, Aug 13, 2016.

1. jamei

jamei Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    New lawn laid as turf last September. 35 tonnes of new topsoil.

However there was some unforecast inclement weather during laying, a warm wet winter, it took a while to root but I had to keep going over it to rake up leaves (used planks for the first month), then it got attacked by moulds (had it sprayed which resolved that). Result is it's a bit bumpy in places so I can't cut it too short.

On the front left, areas of very slow growth mixed in with darker green vigorous growth. I could reseed the worst areas next month perhaps:

g1.jpg

To the right and further back it seem to be growing better but these areas have gone to seed most weeks since the spring between weekly mows. However there are now patches spreading into these areas which perhaps consist of a different type of grass. I'm not sure what to do about these:

g2.jpg
    g3.jpg

I'm never sure whether to cut the it as low as possible or keep the blades higher. Not sure about feeding either.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Jamei, may I suggest you dig one of those brown circles and see if there are any leatherjackets.

3. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Well I just learnt what a leather jacket is.. a bloody crane fly! Uch a fi.

Sorry dunno what's up with your lawn.. :oops:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    I'd be inclined to just carry on mowing.
    It looks a bit long to me, and then in a few weeks use an autumn feed..

But then I just have grass, not really a lawn.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      You can buy nematodes which are microscpic parasites that kill leather jackets. It may be worth buying some to see if it makes any difference. Slugs can will also eat grass if there's nothing more tasty to destroy. In tidy gardens like yours, they eat whatever they can - including grass.

Also, the most severely affected areas appear to be lines that seem to run parallel to each other. Has your neighbour on the left side of the pic got any trees near your house end of the fence?

A fertlizer may help out but will put your entire lawn on steroids for about 6-8 weeks.