Patio being pushed up by tree roots!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Stephen Montague, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Stephen Montague

Stephen Montague Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there

We have an old loose-paved circular patio area, maybe 3m diameter, and several of the patio stones are being lifted by roots from silver birch trees (around 10m tall) next to the patio area. The easy solution is to lift the slabs and remove the roots (appreciating they will come back in due course) but I’m most concerned about whether we are likely to destabilise the tree(s) if we do so. Can anyone suggest whether this could be a problem, or am I overthinking it?

Newbie here, so thanks for your help!

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +31,321
    Welcome to the forum! I think it would depend upon on the proximity of the tree? There are many gardeners here who will know what is safe to do.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,052
    I think without seeing what you are likely to be cutting off its going to be difficult for anyone to say.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Stephen Montague

Stephen Montague Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks both, I appreciate the quick responses. The trees are no more than a couple of feet from the edge of the patio, and the patio extends a further 10 feet so we’re talking about roots 6-12 feet from the tree. I guess my question really should be about the root systems of silver birch - are they shallow and wide or narrow and deep. I’m sure they extend much further than my little patio, in whichever direction!

• Like Like x 1
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +614
        Hi Stephen The silver birch is a beautiful tree it is a shallow-rooted tree with root systems that have been known to spread up to 10 metres. Although silver birch roots are not considered to be aggressive, they have been known to cause significant damage to lawns, patios, and other structures. As you mentioned the patio If you was thinking of removing or cutting it down before you do anything you should contact your local authority to check whether the tree has a preservation order on it. As i read in some places it has
        My tenants have a silver birch in their back garden but its away from the house but when it needed triming i had a tree surgeon to trim the silver birch as improper cutting including the roots can weaken it
        And the best time to do it between the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. I found this website it might help

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,566
        Photo would really help. Assuming they are your trees and you want to keep the patio then you are probably looking at removing trees and roots and relaying patio.
        I would get professional advice about the trees.
        Silver birch tend to have fairly shallow roots.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,438
        Welcome to GC but I'm sorry I can't give you any good news. As the others have said, the roots spread a long way and are shallow. They are lovely trees but can be a problem. We had two of them, well away from the house and patio. One of them, 60ft high, came down during the hurricane of 1987 and the whole root section was no more than 2ft deep but had a diameter of 40ft. The other one is still standing (well over 70ft) and we have been having problems with the roots growing thicker and protruding through the lawn.

We have resorted to just slicing the surface, horizontally, off those protruding roots and sealing them with Arbrex. We only take the slicing down to half an inch below the surface to stop the mower from chopping them. We do it with a small hand axe that is very sharp. Not a good way to solve the problem but seems to be the least invasive and the tree doesn't show any obvious signs of damage. We have been doing this for 20-30 years. :noidea: That may be the way to go if you don't want to remove the trees (very costly).

We apologise to the tree each time but we're always talking nicely to the plants in the garden so it's not unusual. :heehee: