Patio revamp

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Jan 23, 2015.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've decided that, funds permitting, I'm going to have the old patios removed and redone. The patio outside the door is drab grey stone and is okay, but the top patio has obviously been there a long time (probably 50 years or so) and was never concreted in, so it's just laid on top of soil. There may have been sand underneath it at some point but it's long gone.

The raised beds are held in by rocks, as is the bit outside the patio doors which steps up onto the lawn. These weren't concreted in either, with the result that the mud comes through and onto the patios which makes them a nightmare to keep clean. Every year I have to go round with a trowel to clear the soil which has built up at the bottom of the walls.

So, I've decided that I'm going to have them re-done, plus paths laid properly either side of the lawn up to the top patio. Greenhouse will be coming out so I'll have more space and I'm going to have to widen the patio at the top.

Just need to get some quotes now, but am budgetting around £3k. If it's any more than that I may have to rethink and just have the top patio done.

I just wish I could have the concrete sectional garage removed (which is in the back garden) but a) it's valuable storage space and b) it may devalue the house when I come to sell it.

I'm going to put the old aluminium greenhouse on eBay - not too bothered if I get anything for it, just want it to go to a good home. Whoever gets it will have to come and dismantle/remove it.

I'm so excited :hapydancsmil:

I will of course take some 'before' and 'after' pics for my gardening friends.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,994
      I love projects like this :)

Looking forward to the photos merleworld.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,466
        Good luck with the project. :blue thumb:

What sort of paving will you get?

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It sounds great Merle,can't wait:dancy:

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        I like the Bradstone old riven paving so will be looking at that or for something similar :)

• Like Like x 1
        • **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,347
          Oohhhh...I'm getting excited for you, I remember being at this stage with my garden. cost wise, I paid the men £160 per day ( their charges have since gone up to £180 per day).

Before photos please and if you could knock up a nice little drawn sketch , that would be dandy! :snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,466
            Looks good :blue thumb: