Patio

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mossy, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mossy

Mossy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Im a newbie here so hope I dont go get anything wrong regarding my posts, so hi to everyone.
    I have a big front and back garden, with a bit on the side of the house. Neither me or my hubby are big into gardening - quite the opposite really but we have dug most the borders and been discussing what we want here and there.
    Anyway we have decided on a patio at the side of the house - but because its not our own home we just want to put sand under the patio - in case we have to move!
    Can anyone give me any advice please on how to lay the patio?
    This is just going to be level with the side footpath at side of house, not raised - just nice and simple (hopefully).

2. supermum10

supermum10 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new on here and in the garden too so I'm not good with the technical stuff, but I just wanted to pass on some advice I was given. I wanted to lay patio slabs on sand at my nans house for the same reasons as you, but was advised that this makes it really unpredictable as the sand could be washed out by the rain etc. Instead we took the top level off the grass and laid weed supressing membrane topped with a good couple of inches of gravel. It's not exactly easy to take with you, but it could be removed if your landlord didn't like it.

3. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you want to lay slabs, you could do part of what supermum10 suggests, put down a layer of membrane, but mix your sand DRY with cement at 10 part sand to 1 part cement, level it off and lay your slabs on the dry mix, when all laid, water over the slabs and the moisture will go down and set the cement mix, it wont set to hard, and should you want to lift them, you should be able to do so.
    I agree though that gravel is easier to put down, and can be removed if needed