Pea plant stopped growing but not dead

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Apr 14, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hi all

One of my new pea plants is behaving in a way I've never seen before in any seedling.

It germinated, grew to about an inch in height, and then just stopped. It is still green and healthy looking, just the same size as its been for at least 3 weeks now.

Does anyone know what's going on with it?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Is It in a draft or waterlogged ? If not then I suspect its struggling to get its roots formed, if its too dry i'd suspect root aphids but they only attack lettuce in pots in my experience.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Plants that have been "checked" with cold do that Clueless.
    They sit there looking fine but don't grow - sometimes for weeks, and sometimes they never grow on.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Ziggy, possibly struggling to form roots. The compost its in is actually mole hill spoil, and it seems to be contain a high proportion of clay.

Alice, its never been outside yet, so cold shouldn't be an issue.

Still, I've learnt something from both of you. I didn't know seedlings could do this at all. I've never witnessed this phenomenon before. At least now I know it can happen and that there are possible explanations.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its happened to 3 of my dwarf lop eared beans, they were flowering & setting pods on the window sill but left at home with witless wife they were suffering as she doesn't open the blinds before she leaves for work:wallbang:

Put them out in a cold frame but the wind was blowing in thru the gaps, they've just sat there for 2 weeks looking sad.