Pea soup frustration!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by nikirushka, May 31, 2014.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    Yes, that age-old problem. And it's driving me mad. The soup has arrived, spurred on by the lovely hot spell we had week before last.

My setup is an 800 gallon goldfish pond. 27 fish, most around the 5-8" mark (total length) and one 10" bigun. All very healthy.

Part of the problem is that the pond sits in full sun almost all day - can't do anything about that though. But the plants are growing well, most of the surface will be covered soon BUT this did not help last year.

Plants are two 2ft wide yellow flag irises, fully grown and flowering atm; one soft rush, also fully grown and just starting to flower now; and two water lilies. When these are at full spread they will cover over half the surface. Between those and the above, there'll be hardly any surface clear, but if last year repeats itself, the soup will still be there.

The fish are fed on basic floating sticks, 2-3 times a week. Filtration is very simple - I actually don't have a filter as such. What i have is a 40" plastic dog bed (no holes in base obviously :P), stood at the edge of the pond and full of irises (which are also well grown and just starting to flower, wee bit behind the ones in the pond). Water quality is brill - ammo/nitrite 0ppm, nitrate ~5-10ppm. This has been the best filter I've had by far, in nearly 30 years of ponds. The wildlife is good - frogspawn has been and gone, I've got pond skaters, diving beetles and so on. So all in all, it seems to be a well-functioning setup.

Yet still this blasted pea soup! I've used barely straw in the past which was good, but I'm at the point now where I want to work out why it's happening, when I think I'm doing everything right to prevent it; and to actually prevent it. I have blanketweed in there too but that's less of a problem - it's grown to about 6" and stopped. Not bothered about that. I used to have a UV when I had my last proper filter, but it malfunctioned and melted the housing and I've tried to go natural since.

This is the pond in full foliage last year, and you can see the dog bed filter on the right:

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      When I did my pond, to help everything find its natural balance (which makes clear water), I bought some things I call 'pond bogies'. I can't remember the brand I used, but this is the type of thing I used.

http://evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/Pure_Pond.html

You simply throw a few in each week, and they dissolve to release lots of good bacteria, which then eats bad stuff etc, helping to achieve the natural balance. You have to throw a few in each week rather than all in one go because until the balance is achieved, the water is not right for the good bacteria so it doesn't thrive. With each dose of pond bogies, the ecosystem will modify slightly, until it become hospital for the good bacteria to thrive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Well, I can understand your frustration and I'm sure Clueless advice is sound. But, to be honest the problem is not Bacteria......it's Algae that's exploding into growth when the conditions are ideal

That's one of three problems.

That's two of three problems

That's the third problem.

There are three things causing the Algae to explode into growth, warmth, Sunlight, and an excess of nutrients in the water that they can feed off.

I'm sure you're aware, nikirushka, that Fish are eating and excreting machines!!! Their excretions get broken down by natural organisms and turned into the various chemical nutrients. Feeding them [and I do] is obviously necessary but an eye has to be kept on the amount given to ensure that they are eating it all and none is being left to break down into more nutrients. So, in my opinion and experience, the key is keeping the nutrients in the water down to a minimum thereby denying the Algae food on which to grow.....which is easier said than done:dunno::wallbanging::doh::snork:

That certainly sounds like a great natural filtration system to me and it obviously works 95% of the time and it's only when the those three elements of Sun, Warmth, and a too high level of nutrients come into play that you have a problem.:gaah:

I have fish in my Wildlife pond that I dug in '93 but the water has always remained crystal clear because by overplanting with marginal plants and having a Bog Garden that is actually integrated into the pond all of which extracts a really high percentage of nutrients naturally from the water.

I think the trick here is to try to reduce the naturally developing nutrient level down to the absolute minimum. You're obviously not a Chemical and Filter man
        so you will want to use a system using Nature. I have the advantage of having had built my Bog Garden into the pond so that water seeps through the "dry" brick wall into the soil of the Bog Garden and the Bog Plants use and extract the nutrients for their growth, plus as I said earlier I have over planted with marginals and there's a reasonable number of oxygenators in the pond, plus the good 'ole Water Soldier, all of which do a great job of extracting nutrients from the pond water. May I suggest that you try installing a few more Marginals into the pond in an effort to reduce the nutrients by them naturally extracting it out of the water for their own use and growth.:snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          I'm by no means the expert on ponds, as you know, but from what I understand, having read about the product I used, the bacteria they introduce locks up the free floating nutrients, which feed algae, and then when the bacteria die (in their normal life cycle) they sink to the bottom, so in effect they mop free floating nutrients up and take them to the bottom where the actual pond plants have their roots. So, its just sort of moving nutrients down to the floor where your pond plants find them rather than the algae.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Hi Clueless, well, in fact modern "artificial" ponds rarely have the pond plants roots on the bottom they're usually "planted" around the sides in crates or pots on the shelves. On the bottom of the pond is a natural sludge/mud that is full of bacteria, insects, etc all part of the natural eco-system of the pond. Some oxygenators may well send roots into the mud but on wading and cleaning around my pond recently I investigated the roots of the marginals in the crates and pots. They had formed into "bushes" of roots and, even though they had been there since '93, were nowhere near the bottom of the pond and were merely extending out into open water.
          Mopping" up the nutrients in the water sounds a little doubtful to be honest. The bacteria would have to be fairly fast acting, have to proliferate enough to reach every part of the pond and if, as the blurb states, the bacteria then die and fall to the bottom it has no real benefit as the nutrients haven't gone away merely been added to the sludge which is already nutrient rich. As I said most modern ponds have shelves around the pond where the Marginals are placed......not on the bottom. I think that one of the main problems is that most garden ponds don't have enough marginals in them to extract the nutrients to an acceptable level for the water to clear.
          But in Nikirushka's case the problem appears to be that the natural filtration system is working well under normal circumstances and only fails to cope with the nutrient level when the warmth and Sunlight causes the Algae to explode using the possibly slightly too high nutrient level that is the limit the present natural filtration system can bring it down to.
          Also using enough plants to extract the nutrients means that the clarity and balance of the water is automatically and naturally maintained with no need to keep adding treatments to try to keep the nutrient level [which is always being added to by the Fish, dead insects, rotting vegetation etc, That's why I suggested the use of a few more marginals which would, once established, be the key to the nutrients being used up by beneficial plants at a level that would deny Algae the food it needs and because the plants are always present and growing the nutrients are always being used up.:dunno::snork:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,089
            I tend to go for plants that live without any soil, adding soil adds nutrient.
            Pea soup is a common problem this time of the year, and established ponds usually recover from that stage very suddenly, mine has done that in the last week.

Ponds take a while to warm up, and for the water plants to get moving, however the algae seems to just enjoy the sunlight, once the balance becomes right, the algae disappears.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
              +93
              Thanks all. The plants aren't exactly right on the bottom but their roots do reach the bottom - I don't have any shelves in the pond, it is as it looks in the picture: a box. Straight sides, 9' x 8' x 2' deep. Matt black liner. So all the plant containers are sat on the bottom. Holey plastic boxes for the lilies, and garden trugs for the rest with numerous holes in the sides. The roots grow straight out through these and down to make a carpet on the bottom. The irises in the filter have no soil - I just put them in there one year to see if they would grow on water nutrients alone and they are thriving!

I'd love to do a bog garden thing - it was the premise for the iris filter but it's the closest I can do at the moment. I do have a second pond liner, just a littlie at about 140 gallons but it's one of the irregular preformed ones so tricky to adapt for that purpose but that is my intention longer term. In the meantime I have another dog bed so I could always add an extra setup that way, I do want to get some different coloured ones with all the current stuff being from the same original plant but there's not enough room in the pond for them!

Could anyone recommend a better food perhaps (on Supa atm)? The fish get fed minimally to try and reduce the nutrient load but I am aware it's only cheap stuff so it'll have less nutritional fillers. I'd love to feed them all natural with frozen foods but cost does become a factor then!

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                :thumbsup::snork:

I'm no help there I'm afraid, nishirushka.:dunno: I use whatever the cheapest is and the fish have survived since '95 when they were put into the pond. I was thinking of pushing some neighbours into the pond as a variation in diet and watching the Fins cutting through the water towards them:hate-shocked::yes::heehee:

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,517
                The easiest and most sure way to get rid, is a U/V:blue thumb:I'd go for one that is twice the rating of your capacity. The guideline is 10 watts per 1000 gallons, which I would double. So 20 watts per 1000 gallons.

• Like Like x 1
                • Mike Smith

Mike Smith Gardener

Ratings:
                  +41
                  Hi Freddy
                  I would certainly agree with the UV idea , My neighbour has a small pond only been installed about 3 months and had already filled with pea soup . Had filter and plants . Went out and bought a UV filter fitted it , 2 weeks later and a few filter cleans the pond is immaculate very clear .

• pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +92,089
                  Although I must agree UV lights do clear pond water, its kind of doing it via electronical means.

The water may still be full of nutrient but you dont know that, because the uv is killing the algae.
                  You probably never get the balance right.
                  Not really sure if that matters,
                  but it does to me, and my pond.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                    Ratings:
                    +12,517
                    That's a fair point Pete. That's where regular water changes can help. Thing is, if the water is a pea-souper, it'll inhibit plant growth, imo. Also, it doesn't need a lot of nutrient for algae to flourish. As an aside (for those that might be interested), U/V doesn't actually kill algae. What it does is cause the algae to deform (Flocculate) whereby the algae forms into clumps and becomes large enough to be subsequently caught in the filter.

• pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +92,089
                      Water changes is something to be avoided, I always thought.:scratch::smile:

So a uv light would not work without a filter?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      Yep, I agree with that, Pete. Change of water only introduces more chemicals and, would you believe, more nutrients.

Well, the "pea soup" is algae obviously, but it wouldn't affect marginal plants or floaters but it might have a temporary effect on oxygenators under the surface. The key, as said before, is to remove the excess nutrients via planting as much marginals etc as you can so they can extract the nutrients out of the pond for their own use.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
                      Ratings:
                      +12,517
                      Nothing wrong with partial water changes. Obviously, if there's fish present, then a de-chlorinator should be added to protect the friendly bacteria in the filter. Without a filter, a U/V wouldn't be effective.

Yes, water changes do introduce chemicals, but a lot depends on your supplier. I can't say I agree about the nutrients. I used to regularly check the Nitrate level, and it was definitely helped by the introduction of 'fresh' water.
                      Of course, I'm speaking from the perspective as an ex Koi keeper. Water quality was key. In the Koi keeping world the motto is look after the water, and the Koi will look after themselves.

As to offering advice on 'natural' ponds, I have no experience, apart from total failure:gaah:

• Like Like x 1