1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pea varieties, Early and Main

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ChilliPepper, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Really struggled with getting peas going this year! Two sowings of Kelvedon Wonder in March failed. I tried Terrain later in May but there was a disappointing germination rate.

I've tried pre-germination, grow tubes and direct planting but to no avail. Being a sucker for punishment I sowed, direct, a row of Meteor on the 3rd November (don't ask!)

My soil is a neutral, fairly free draining type, probably formed by river sediment on an old flood plane and we are located in Devon so temperatures are mild to warm and rainfall is above the national average.

Any advice on reliable varieties or hints and tips for sowing and growing would be great.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,244
      I've taken to germinating peas in a deep seed tray in a cold greenhouse, when they reach 3 to 4" tall I plant them out and put twiggy sticks in straight away. This way I avoid the slugs and pigeons eating them as soon as they germinate, the pigeons will also take the ungerminated seed.
      As for varieties I currently have Kelvedon Wonder for next spring and will sow Alderman as a main crop, in the past I've had good crops with both Early Onward and Onward.
      I have tried autumn sowing peas but found they tended to rot in the ground, so these days I stick to autumn sowing broad beans.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Thanks Nigel. I probably won't try an autumn sowing again but wanted to try it once. I've got Early Onward in my sights for next spring's earlies and maybe Meteor. I will persevere with Kelvedon Wonder next year as well as I did have some success a few years back.

I've only a small plot so I have to be careful of the height of some crops in certain positions but I've heard good things about Alderman. I'm also going to look at Rondo and Hurst Green Shaft in addition to Onward for my main crop.

I'll try the deep seed tray technique in my greenhouse.

P.S. You advised on Aquadulce broad beans a year or so back. Pleased to say that I have a healthy row hunkering down for the winter in the garden at the moment!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,614
          Must be 20 yrs since I last grew peas, my favourite was always hurst greenshaft.:smile:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,244
          Alderman can get quite tall, I like it because it crops over a period rather than coming in one rush.
          Glad the broad beans are doing well.

• Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
          +172
          I did Victorian colossal. They started off good and tasted good but all died of powdery mildew. Seems to affect some of the plants in my garden. Will try something mildew resistant next year.