Peace Lilly??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AndyK, May 23, 2007.

1. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    i've posted these pics on another thread but thought i would get it confirmed here. Some people on another forum said mine didnt look like a peace lilly as the stems are so thick, i have a picture of someone elses that is in full bloom. It was brought over from china, i just want to confirm this is a peace lilly as it looks different from most i've seen!

[​IMG]
    the one on the right in this next pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I see what you mean. Usually the peace lily has loads of thin stems. perhaps it's another variety of spathiphyllum. :confused:
    Hopefully someone will know!

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  4. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm, mine have finer stems too... be interested to see what comes up about this one.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    The stems look very like diffenbachia to me, imagine those leaves mottled with white and the flowers look right.
    Just a thought.

6. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Possibly a very old plant ,but yes Pete think i agree with you too.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I'm not familiar with spathiphyllum, never grown one, but as far as I can make out it doesn't grow upright stems, which this plant appears to have.
    As for propagation it seems division is the method, suggesting splitting up a rhisome at soil level.

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I'm not sure about this either, the leaves are glossy like Spaths but the stems do have a Dieffenbachia look about them although I have never grown, seen or know of an all green one.
    The growth habit and general appearance also looks like Philodendron but they very rarely flower in a house, the stems are cane like which are similar to Dracaenas, confused I am! [​IMG]
    Just a health warning,this plant may or not be but never let Dieffenbachia sap get on the skin (or in the mouth) as it is an irritant and can make the tongue swell up.

9. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, well, well, it seems i've got you all... stumped! I've found out what it is on another forum! Strongylodon is the closest about the poisonous thing, i dont think i'll be eating this plant anytime soon though! Anyways, shall i tell you what it is now, im sure your dying to know! Ok then i suppose i wont hold you in suspense anymore! its an Aglaonema modestum, also known as the Chinese Evergreen! A modestum has leaves which are very similar to peace lily (Spathiphyllum) leaves, except that in Spathiphyllum, the leaves emerge from just underground, and the plant never develops a cane, whereas in Aglaonema, the cane appears almost immediately, and the leaves grow off of it. The leaves actually do look a lot more like the typical peace lily than like the typical Chinese evergreen and the flowers are similar on both as well so this is where the confusion comes from! :D [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Now we know and I should have known as I have grown Aglaomenas in the past but only with silver/green leaves, never seen the plain green one, they do flower indoors more readily than Dieffenbachias. I am a bit out of touch with house plants now as I mainly grow bedding plants. [​IMG]

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Strongy have you got any idea as to the difference between a green aglaomena and a green diefenbachia, they look very similar to me.
    I assume both plants are green in the wild.

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Just see this belatedly, not sure Pete, I think there are some naturally coloured ones. Aglaonema normally have narrower leaves but there are always exceptions in botany.