Peace Lilly

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AndyK, Apr 25, 2007.

1. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive recently taken control of a peace lilly in the office, the previous owner believes its dead but i think not! T
    he owner before her had it for 10 years. Its currently got 3 green stumps, the first owner used the plant for cuttings, am i right in believing these wont grow back (they've gone brown in the middle)? I also have a small green shoot which is looking healthy and seems to be growing bit by bit. I've been told the green shoot is the plant growing back, i hope this is correct! Can anyone tell me how often to water the plant, what to feed it and how often to feed it please?

Thanks very much!

Andy

2. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
  4. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Marley, the first link is pretty useful!

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy, in my experience these are pretty tough plants. I left my office one with someone to "look after" while I was away for a few weeks, he forgot about it and thought he'd killed it but with a bit of water it came back to life, and I still have it and some of its descendents four years on. So hopefully there is a chance for yours too! Very best of luck with the rescue mission.

6. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    how often do you water/feed your peace lilly claire? im pouring all my efforts into it, it looks really sad at the moment!

7. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It might be ok, fully developed peace lilys like alot of water and a bright place but not full sun. Have to see what happens. [​IMG]

8. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    well I have it sat on the window cill at the moment, i though sun would do it good whilst its in the growth stage. From what ive read i guess i should water it every other day, giving it chance to dry out

9. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to your question Andy, I water mine kind of sporadically - usually when they just start to look a bit droopy. Feed also sporadically, just with baby bio as per instructions on the bottle, more in summer and less in winter. I'd guess probably they get watered a little less than once a week, fed every other time in summer.

I have a couple on a window sill that gets the mornning sun but the ones that are a bit further into the room where it's bright but not direct sun seem to do best.

This all sounds a bit hit and miss I know, but they seem to thrive on it. They just don't seem to be fussy plants (probably lucky given my "care regime"!) One thing I would say is that my mum had one near a radiator which never looked happy and eventually died. I don't think she loved it really, though, and it knew and was pining....

10. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    great, i'll get some baby bio! i guess i'll hang fire on watering it every other day then or it might just drown! The window is the best place for it though, its either there or next to the radiator!!

11. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    well i have been watching my peace lilly with little development happening, i decided to re-pot it in some nice potting compost for indoor plants. Ive recently found out this variety comes from china and was brought into the country by an un-named person as a cutting! here are some pics of the plant in full bloom (This is not mine this is another plant of the previous owners)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here are my plants which look to have healthy roots, and that stem i said was growing really is, its a huge shoot coming off the side of one of the large stems!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yay its alive, its alive!!

12. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad the TLC is paying off andy, keep up the good work!

13. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    i cant believe i repotted it, i was afraid to do it a few weeks ago, piece of cake now! I guess pricking out the geraniums gave me the confidence! they are outside now in plug trays & are doing great!