Peaches, what a surprise!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Vince, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I have two peach trees, one for fruit and an ornamental one for show......

My open planted tree (for fruit) had loads of blossom but all resulting fruit bit the dust :(

My pot grown ornamental "bush" however has produced about 16 fruits, between golf and tennis ball size, they are now ripe/ripening and they taste absolutely gorgeous :)

Thinking about planting it out despite it being "ornamental" ?

Both grown outdoors.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Vince, so instead of considering it as merely ornamental, you could now consider it to be functional. :thumb:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    How lovely Vince. Your own peaches. YUM.:thumb:

4. ~Jen~

~Jen~ Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Well done! :thumb:
    I was told by a gardener friend of my son's, to feed pot-grown peach trees with tomato feed once a week. My little tree has given me a bumper crop from doing this. (see my post "Peaches!")

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've a potted peach and I normally overwinter in it the GH and bring it out in mid May. This year I kept it in the GH and the improvement in the crop was quite amazing. We picked our first peach in the latter part of July and the peaches were significantly bigger than the previous outdoor crops. The fruit set was very good but I thinned it down to about 15. It was lovely picking and eating a fresh sun warmed peach.
    Only problem encountered was a touch of red spider mite.

6. BigBaddad

BigBaddad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a largish peach tree that was there when we moved in. First summer we had so much fruit a couple of the branches broke. This year we pruned it a little. As the fruit was growing we picked the smaller fruits (made crumble with an oaty topping,yum) this resulted in bigger and better fruits this year. Mind you a few dropped in the winds we had. We still had a good 100 peaches.