Pears on Cordons

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Timmy, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Timmy

Timmy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking about creating a barrier bettween my garden and the driveway with pear trees grown in cordons.

I have hunted for info with Google but am struggling to find basics, so any advice on the following or other issues I have not considred will be really appreciated!

How far apart should I plant the trees?
    Are any varieties better than others?
    Is there anything I shoud add to the earth when planting? sand/compost/manuar/additives

Thanks for any help in advance!

Tim

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Tim. I like your idea of creating a barrier that will produce a useful crop!

Cordon pears plant about 75 cm apart.
    As for varieties I'd try planting a mixture - that way you'll be hedging your bets (as well as the drive).
    Conference - reliable and well established, crops well and is good in northern areas. Pick late
    Sept.
    William's Bon Chretien (the one that goes into Bartletts tinned pears) An old English variety good in the north. Pick Sept
    Beth - A fairly new variety. Pick late August.

All the above three belong to the same pollination group.
    As far as planting goes, add plently of compost to the planting holes and if you have very acidic soil add a bit of lime to the plot before planting.

3. Timmy

Timmy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! You're a star thank you!!! I'm going to pickup my trees this weekend or next so preperation digging will commence ASAP!

I will post more when I'm further along :-)

Thanks!!!

Tim