Peas and Beans - too late ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by sumbody, Jun 7, 2013.

1. sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +303
    This year I bought some peas and beans to sow - never done them before and, I am sure, inspired by you lot, - anyway so as not be overrun by them, I sowed a couple of dozen of both - well friends have come for their plants - and they have taken the peas and beans too - none left :cry3:

Obviously had I known this I would have done more - but my question is am I too late to do some more now ?

Runner Beans are Red Emperor and peas Kelvedon something (packet is in the greenhouse at the mo)

S
    p.s. by "you lot" I mean this in the nicest possible way :wub2:

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I would go for it, in this warm temperature now they should romp away, I would sow in situ, as they should grow that fast not worth starting them in pots.:biggrin:

Regarding the "you lot" we have been called worse and frequently are.:roflol:

3. Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,067
    Everything is running late this year anyway and what have you got to lose? The worst that could happen is that you have some plants that don't produce but you never know........................ :)

4. sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +303
    Thank you both - just run out and sown some more - actually did them in pots as we have mice in the garden - just to save me looking and waiting for something to grow when the mice have already eaten it :)

S

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,992

Yes, you won't be far behind with the Runner Beans, I will be sowing a second batch soon directly in the soil.

Probably Kelvedon Wonder which is an early pea, that's ideal for sowing now, it will mature faster. There's time to sow a couple of batches, sow now and then again in about 3 weeks time for a later crop :dbgrtmb:

6. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I think the beans would be Scarlet Emperor, a very reliable and tasty old favourite - no problem sowing now, I have sown this variety as late as first week July and still had a reasonable crop. I'm not a pea person (in as much as I don't grow them) but as JWK says, sowing an early vaiety now will give good crop.

a-a

7. sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +303
    You guys are good - Yes Kelvedon Wonder and Yes Scarlet Emperor - that's why I love this site :ThankYou: for the great info.

S

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I haven't planted any peas yet. I'm confident there is still plenty of time.

As an aside, here's some (possibly) interesting but maybe useless trivia.
    * Runner beans were brought to the UK as an ornamental, because they have gorgeous flowers. It was sometime after that that people realised the beans were not only edible but delicious.
    * Peas also have very pretty flowers.
    * Both have the unusual ability to utilise nitrogen in its gaseous form (most plants need it in mineral form as nitrates, and they depend on soil micro-organisms to make it for them - peas and beans don't). They do this by forging a symbiotic relationship with a certain bacteria, which lives in little nodules on the roots, turning nitrogen gas from the atmosphere into a stockpile of nitrates.

I bet you're wondering how this is relevant. Well, it means that even if, for some reason you fail to to get a crop of peas and beans, at least you can enjoy the flowers and the fact that the plants are adding both structure and nutrients to the soil.

• Informative Informative x 1