1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Peas

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Tomhip, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
    +113
    ive sown Kelvedon Wonder peas today in pots in the greenhouse my intention is to replant into a Quadgrow when they are ready I did this last year with limited success but I'm hoping for better results this time adapting a different teqnique
    Tomhip

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,076
    Is this within a greenhouse Tom? I'd think they will do much better outdoors as they prefer cooler conditions, in fact they are very hardy plants and will shrug off mild frosts.

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,076
    Ah I see this is the 'Greenhouse sub-forum' so that answers my question Tom.

The other thing about growing Peas indoors is pollination, they won't set seed without help (outdoor: wind and insects do that job). So do the same as tomatoes, give the flowers a gentle shake a couple of times a day. You'll just need to tap the supports not each individual flower.

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I grew an early crop of Mange Tout in the greenhouse last year and they weren't bad (not as good as the later sowings grown outside) and had intended to do the same this year. When you say "mild frosts" @JWK what sort of temperatureare you talking about please? If they really are pretty hardy then I won't bother to grow some inside as they were a bit of a pest taking up room where I had Tomatoes ready to plant into.......I just knew my 20x8 relatively new greenhouse wasn't going to be big enough:)

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,076
        The *tasty* early Peas like "Kelvedon Wonder" will take down to -5C ish, but they stop growing below zero and also at this time of the year the soil is not warm enough for germination. Best method is to start them in a greenhouse and transplant. I do this the old fashioned way in guttering, you have to hang it on strings to prevent mice getting the seeds. Then after germination it's a bit fiddly but you dig a shallow trench and slide the peas into place. I don't harden off as it's too difficult getting the guttering in and out each day. So maybe cover with fleece for a few days if it's forecast to be cold. I've also sown a few in seed trays and transplanted in the more traditional way.

I say *tasty* because you can get even hardier early Peas like "Feltham First" that will take very heavy frost and snow, but they are more akin to animal fodder in taste :)

I am emotionally attached to Kelvedon Wonder, having worked in the Kelvedon Trials grounds in my first proper job along with the man who bred it. There may be more modern varieties that are better but I grow it for nostalgia.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Great @JWK. I don't have any "seed" but will see if I can source. I have a long bit of gutter:). Going to have a go at this once I've sourced some. Just not sure if even in my unheated greenhouse that it will be warm enough to get germination. Might start some off in my heated propogator in loo roll tubes as a safer bet. I didn't realise that Peas are that hardy. Presume mange Tout not so much?
          Can imagine what Feltham First taste like! I know there was a variety of horse feed which had Peas in it. They must have been full of sugar as the flaming horses reacted as tho they were being fed rocket fuel! Stopped using that variety as didn't fancy a broken neck:)

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
            Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
          • Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
            +113
            John I grew peas in the greenhouse last year and realised that my
            limited success was probably Down to the temperature among other things although I thought that I had provided adequate ventilation! my intention is an early start and then move them outside but I am thankful for your advice pal it has reinforced my thoughts
            Tom

• Like Like x 2