Peat Ban Date ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ricky101, May 29, 2023.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    Does anyone know the actual date of the ban on retail peat in 2024 in England ?

Some comments say " by 2024 " others " by the end of 2024 "

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    Hi found this any good?
    The government has announced a ban on all peat compost sales to home gardeners from 2024. After the ban you will only be able to buy peat-free alternatives in garden centres, etc Yet it also states the goverment as confirmed it will not be extended to the professional horticulture market until 2030

3. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    It will be unlawful for Garden Centres, DIY chains, Supermarkets etc etc to sell compost containing peat that is manufactured in ENGLAND only for retail sale from 1/1/2025. Peat based compost that is manufactured in any of the other home nations or is imported from anywhere in world, will still be lawfully be allowed to be sold in England to anyone who wishes to carry on buying peat based compost. I am confident I can produce and make peat free compost for my customers, however I am not confident that they will continue to purchase from me as they are free to purchase from any of the manufacturers in N' Ireland should they wish.

Fertile Ground for Disagreement Post Brexit? The regulation of peat-based products - Brexit & Environment (brexitenvironment.co.uk)

• Informative Informative x 1