Peat Free Gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Dirty Hoer, Jan 18, 2010.

1. The Dirty Hoer

The Dirty Hoer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if you've seen this elsewhere but I want to get to as many people as possible with this.

Please take a moment or two to read this post about Peat Free Gardening and, if you are interested to find out more, follow the the links to The Kew website and the RSGB website.

Many thanks.

http://bornagaingardener.blogspot.com/2010/01/peat-free-gardening.html

Ian.
    [​IMG]

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Dirty Hoer,
    I tried those little biodegradable planting pots and the results were disastrous. They seemed to dry out in 2 minutes and getting them rehydrated was near impossible. I will never use them again. I threw some on the compost heap.
    Yes I know that peat is very eco unfriendly and I switched to peat free compost. That was disastrous. Nothing would grow in the stuff. Now I try to use my own compost where available.
    How does everyone else get on and what experience do they have of peat pots and peat free compost.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979