Peat Free Gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Dirty Hoer, Jan 18, 2010.

1. The Dirty Hoer

The Dirty Hoer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm surprised that this seems to be an issue - it is difficult to actually find peat in the garden centres anymore, most composts are based on recycled material or composted bark these days. For years I've used old toilet roll inners to sow my seeds into and I know there were many people trying the rolled newspaper method successfully last year rather than those pressed peat modules.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I gave away a fair ammount of veg and sweet peas to neighbours last year, as a result I was given a pack of 12 peat pots for Christmas along with some seed.

Info: Manufactured by J Arthur Bowers from 80% Wood Fibre and 20% Light Peat.

I did not have the heart to say more than "Thank you, Merry Christmas" as it was obviously a well meaning gift, but will broach the subject sometime later in the year...in an informative way.

I also use loo and kitchen roll centres but have not as yet tried the paper pots...must have a crack with them this year.

Steve...:)