Peat free grown plants problem

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by AnniD, Sep 3, 2024.

1. AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
    +511
    Hoping someone can advise me :smile:.

I am making some changes to a large flower bed and planned to dig up plants and keep them in trugs for a week or two before replanting.
    However, those that were grown in peat free compost (mostly salvias such as the Caradonna type) have stayed dry as a bone with no root growth whatsoever.
    I did tease out the roots as best as possible before I planted, and kept an eye on watering.

Does anyone have any tips as to the best way to treat plants grown in this way, so that they begin to establish roots and grow into the soil ? TIA.

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Why not pot them up in to the next size pot, using soil/real compost mix. While 'captive', water by standing in trough overnight so that they do soak. This will give you flexibility if your replanting is delayed, for any reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
      +511
      Ahead of you there @infradig :smile:.

It's more the "what to do" the next time I plant something newly purchased from the GC.

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do this with every plant before I finally get round to planting it ?

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,151
      Maybe just knock the pot off and then decide on the basis of "is it potbound yet ". My observation of many commercially supplied plants is that they have been conditioned/drugged/treated to hold on for weeks/months before they actively grow away, so as to prolong their shelf life.
      A visit to growers suppliers websites etc will offer all manner of 'growth regulator/inhibitor ' substances to perform this. In many cases it appears as a particularly curious shade of green foliage not seen in free growing specimens. You will have noticed the change in appearance of transplants after a period, almost as if their ' lights have been switched on'. I wonder if this signifies the establishment of symbiotic relationships- perhaps one shouldn't ask!

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,981
        How long had they been planted?
        I assume they were thoroughly soaked before planting an had good strong white roots.
        Presumably they were not growing well if the roots hadn't escaped the original rootball.

Kind of suggests its the age old problem of plants drying out the rootball before the roots get chance to escape out.
        Once the rootball is allowed to dry out its very difficult to rewet, just a drop of washing up liquid in the watering can can help.

• AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
        +511
        Hi @pete , yes they had a good soak. If memory serves me right they did have good roots if a little on the small side.
        The tip about the washing up liquid is a good one, I will give it a go :smile:.

Interesting point @infradig. I usually have a look to see if I can spot roots just coming through the bottom of the pot (as opposed to recently repotted or thoroughly pot bound). I know what you mean about the "lights switched on" effect.

• Like Like x 1
        • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
          Ratings:
          +347
          Something we discussed a lot on the "other forum " is the issue of the "teabag". A lot of commercially produced plants are sown, or transplanted into those little mesh pellets of compost. There is plastic in the mesh and it doesn't breakdown. Many a failed plant has been found to have a "teabag" round the roots closest to the stem, although roots do grow out, it always restricts growth.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +22,551
            I found that to be a problem with jiffy pots if I didn't remove the mesh before planting out.
            I have often grown on newly purchased plants, where ever from, in a larger pot in a mix of garden soil and potting compost until I see them growing away and roots popping out the drainage holes.