Peat or Coir

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by wiseowl, Nov 30, 2006.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi
    How many of you use peat or have you changed to another peat free compost.This is just out of personal interest. As 2.5million cubic metres
    of peat bogs are used each year in GB ,94% 0f all peat bogs have been destroyed and damaged in GB.

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Peat free here w-o-o. Home made compost and leaf mould in the garden,but now I have a Greenhouse I assume a sterile medium will be necessary for seeds etc; so it's something I'll have to look into.

3. TG

TG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use peat based composts subsidised with home made compost.

I take your point about the damage to peat bogs but this is not (so I understand) all down to gardening.

One Peat fired power station uses more in a year than the total used by all of the gardeners in the UK in a year

I have used coir but it just not work as well as peat.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    TG
    I respect your views.but its just like saying
    why should we save water when industry uses as much in a day as we do in a year.the only point i am making ,is we as gardeners can maybe help this situation .
    We cannot stop the power stations,
    If its good enough for The Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew,then i am going to give it a try.

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hands off peat! 94% gone from Britain and so now gardeners are importing it from Poland. "That's all right", they say "plenty left in Poland and my plants need it" When will people understand that we live on one planet?

I don't use peat, coir, chocolate or any other soil conditioner except garden compost and leaves. You want a good soil conditioner? Go out now with some bin liners and gather up all the fallen leaves that you can. Spread them on your soil for the worms to pull down and decompose or keep till ready in a heap if you are tidy minded. Get real and ban peat.

6. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use JI compost in the main & I mix it myself so I use a peat free Multipurpose instead of Peat itslef. I would like to use Leaf ,ould but I just don't have the time I'm afraid.

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh how I miss my horse for the end product! (rear end that is!)

I am experimenting with leaves, but not nearly the quantity of what I get from the horse in a year.

8. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The only place i heard they were burning peat in a power station was Ireland. They would have to be pretty desperate - it has a low calorific value. Quite a few nurseries are turning to coir, shredded bark etc, but they do produce a lighter compost that dries out more readily and vine weevils love them.
    I have never used peat as a soil dressing in the garden. I cannot see the point as it has a zero nutrient status. I have only used it as a sterile potting medium and for that leaf mould, garden compost etc are no use because of the lack of sterility and uncertain nutrient content. So i am leaning towards the waste products of shredded bark and coir.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hornbeam how do sterilize the compost when you use it to pot up your plants? your not one of these guys that shouts green and drives round in a car are you like Jonathon Porrit

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I know plenty of people who put it in the oven..... I don't myself, I just use it straight from the bag. Anything that doesn't cope with that, I don't do, as I haven't really got the time - maybe when I retire!

Most people I know use cheshunt compound - but although I bought some, I've never brought myself to use it.

What do you do, Walnut?

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes Walnut - I drive a peat free car. You cycle everywhere do you?

12. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  13. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :D :D

So what is the option/product for me in the Grennhouse then please?

14. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone used these soil sterilising kits? they were advertised in the accessories section when I bought greenhouse.

My uncle used to put soil in the microwave.

I tried using well rotted compost, but all sorts came up in it.

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    You'll have to make your own decision, Pal! Based on all these opinions - do what suits you best.