Peony's - need some help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Alexandra, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Alexandra

Alexandra Apprentice Gardener

Full Time Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    it is the first time im participating...i need some help about peony's... it is my favorite flower, and i would like to plant them in my garden, but im have no clue about the best time of the year to do it...
    Can anyone please give some general details and advices? Im a newbie :help:!!

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Alexandra, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup::D I have 9 different Peonies in my borders and they're are one of my most favourite herbaceous plants. Basically if the Peony you want to plant is in a pot then you can plant it whenever you want, providing the ground is not frozen.:D

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Just don't plant them too deeply (the herbaceous types we are talking about). The top of the plant should be no more than an inch below the surface. They need cold ripening to form flower buds. Main reason for not flowering is that they have been planted too deeply or mulched too heavily.
    Tree paeonies are different, they should be treated like any other shrub.

• Like Like x 1