Pepper plants problems

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by cathymoon, Apr 17, 2016.

1. cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    I started this pepper seeds on March 18th. I used seedling soil and the container has drainage holes.
    1- what could be causing the seed leaves to be dark?
    2- is that white mould on the top soil bad? I had some of it in my lettuces, but it went away after transfer.
    3- the roots are coming out in the drainage holes, I have individual containers for transfer, but they onlt have one or two true leaves each. Should I use seedling soil or normal potting soil?

The number 3 also goes for the leeks in the back, but tbey would have to be 3 per cup.
    Or wait another week or so until the greenhouse is finished. But if I transfer the peppers I have to do it with the leeks as well. Because of the space under the light.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +31,321
    Peppers can be very slow growers. Some of my seeds took 3 weeks just to germinate. I don't see anything wrong with your seedlings. It is still early days... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I can't see anything wrong with them.

As for waiting another week for the greenhouse, I'm not sure I'd put peppers out this early, even in a greenhouse, unless it's heated.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        They look ok to me also.
        I'd prick them out into pots singly at this stage.
        I just use multipurpose compost, even for seed sowing, never found the need to get involved with seed compost.
        I think that mostly goes back to using JI composts, as they get stronger as they go up, seed,1,2 and 3.
        Multipurpose is just that, you need to feed earlier, but not after potting on, until the plant is established in its pot.
        I dont think the white mould is a problem, you might just be keeping them slightly too damp.

• cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        So, it's normal for the leaves to not be green?

Attached Files:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        What variety are they?
        If they have dark coloured fruits it could be down to that.

Or it could be the intensity of the lights you are growing them under?

Dont think its anything to worry about.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I've had that on some Peppers (but not Chillies) growing under lights and attributed to the lights as it didn't get any worse after moving them into natural light.

What size are those containers? From the size of the Pepper seedlings it appears oversized for just 5 seedlings and by not having them in individual cells the roots will be tangled up. I would have them cells at that size (40x trays), and then move them to larger cells (24x trays) when I'd also nip off the seed leaves and bury them a bit deeper.

The Leeks appear to have plenty of room. Did you sow them in that container? I sow thicker to limit propagator/grow light space and only start thinking about transplanting into trays at something like 30mm centres each way any day now and then they'll go into an unheated polytunnel.

Possibly, using something like a seed label to carefully disturb the surface might discourage it, this sometimes happens with some brands of compost, especially if polythene bags or propagator tops have been used to cover it.

• cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Bell peppers, Califórnia Wonder.

8x13 cm 7cm deep. I realised it was a mistake when I had to untangle my lettuces. Will transfer them now be better then waiting?
        I have figured out a way to keep them inside on new and individual containers.

Yes, they were sow into this.
        I didn't sow more because I'm not sure how much space outside I will have later.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        My Peppers/Chilies seedlings of that size would still be in 40x cells (45 x 35mm, reducing to 30 x 25mm at base, 45mm deep, volume 52 cm3). 5 Of my seedlings would occupy an area 80 cm2 on plan, but yours are taking up 30% more space. I would put them into individual cells now, then they could have their next potting up as each one is ready for it.

I make the most of my heated propagator/growlight/heated greenhouse space by sowing in 15x cells rather than trays, in strips where more one is not adequate (7 cells = 1 half seed tray), then as soon as any cell in a strip has had the contents transplanted it's snipped off to free up valuable space. I get these cells from Wilkos when reduced to about 35p for a pack of 3 trays (45 cells) and re-use every year, washing then soaking in a 1:9 cheap bleach water solution, so their cost is negligible.

The first cells I transplant into are from B&M (also sold at Poundstretcher) @ £3 for 2 packs of 5 trays (400 cells) and again these are cleaned/sterilized and reused each year. I cut them into blocks of 3, 6, or 9 cells to assist with trying to get the most into propagators and under lights.

Next potting up would either be into 60 x 60mm square pots or 24x cell trays, both from Wilkos, bought when reduced and re-used every year.

Working that way enables me to cram the most plants/seeds into the spaces I have available. Earlier in the growing/sowing season my lights are on timers, but now there's loads of seeds, seedlings and plants they are under the lights in 2 x 12 hour shifts a day, everything in big gravel trays to make swopping hassle free.

Could you make better use of your light(s) by having 12 hour shifts?

You appear to have sown about 9 leeks in another 104cm2 tub which is about 7 times the size of the cell I would have sown in, enabling to get some other stuff under the lights until the pricking out stage, not all necessarily plants that required to remain there, but those which could be moved into an unheated greenhouse or tunnel, and maybe also something that could have shared the space under lights using the shifts system.

• Louis Berlin

Louis Berlin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Hey, howdy cathymoon!!
        The plants seem to be just fine.I'd talk about the white mold that's growing on the soil.
        First things first- don't worry it is harmless. That white mold is actually saprophytic fungus that grows because of over watering, contaminated potting soil, or poor drainage.
        But hey, they are good indicators that if you are over watering the plants then there could be the problem of root rot.

Tips: You could simply scrape the mold off and place the pot in a well ventilated area. Simple!
        Hope it helps!

• Like Like x 1
        • cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
          +11
          I have transferred them into individual cups a few days ago.

I have bought a small tray with 9 cells. I'm currently using it to grow some more lettuces and leeks.

I'm starting more leeks, because mine are all bending. Can leeks get leggy? The stem looks fine, no brown spots, or anything, just falling down.

• Like Like x 1
          • cathymoon

cathymoon Gardener

Ratings:
            +11
            Two of them actually have a 2nd true leave growing.
            Here's a picture.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1