Pepper seedlings - is mini greenhouse too cold for them?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by paddy_rice, Mar 29, 2009.

1. paddy_rice

paddy_rice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I potted on a load of pepper (chilli and sweet) seedlings today, plus a few tomato seedlings, into 3" pots. They have their second lot of true leaves just emerging. There's tons of em so I don't have space in the house, and have left them in an unheated mini greenhouse outside (you know the sort, with shelves and a plastic covering). I'm wondering now if it's too cold to leave them in there overnight.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Paddy

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Dont think I would leave them there, we have a frost forecast for tonight.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I'm wondering now if it's too cold to leave them in there overnight"

Definitely :(

A plastic "grow house", or for that matter a poly tunnel, will be hardly any warmer that outside - it will keep the wind off, and will heat up more, and be more humid, on a sunny day.

A glasshouse will be warmer, but still too cold.

An unheated conservatory, or a lean-to greenhouse against a brick wall, particularly an external house wall with heat "escaping" through it, will be warmer still.

In addition to being frost-free things like Toms, Cues, Peppers need a minimum of about 10C to carry on growing. Once they stop they really stop! and take a while to get going again.

I have a grow-house against the wall in my [cold] conservatory. That has kept a minimum of 10C for since about the 7th March. I have put a lightbulb in it for a few nights when it was particularly cold, but with the shorter nights now that isn't necessary.

They don't need any light, at night, so just putting them on the kitchen floor, or somesuch, and then out in the grow-house in the morning should do the trick.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    Its too cold in my unheated greenhouse for any tender seedlings (like toms/peppers/cucs).

I'm running a couple propogaters right now - both are outside in my unheated half built extension - its a couple of degrees warmer than my unheated greenhouse. One of the propogaters I don't have switched on has cabbage/leek seedlings that can tolerate a bit of cold - it got down to 2.5 deg C last night.

The heated propogater next to it with my tomato seedlings went down to 8 deg C which is getting to their limit. I covered the heated propogater with polysterene and a blanket overnight to try and retain the heat, I don't think they would have been survived in my greenhouse.

I'm hoping that was the last really cold night this spring.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I'm hoping that was the last really cold night this spring."

Last frost in this part of East Anglia has been first week of April for the last 5 years ... but there is no sign, yet, of the first warm spell - looking back through temperature data we seem to get a week of good weather at some point, and thereafter the temperatures remain warmer

6. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    My peppers have taken up residence in the bathroom until the nights get warmer and all threat of frost has gone, far too cold at the moment to go outside!