peppers in greenhouse being nibbled

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by veraveg, May 23, 2010.

1. veraveg

veraveg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

This is only my second year of greenhouse growing and i have a problem, could you help?

I planted my peppers into the greenhouse from their pots and they were fine for a week then i noticed one had fallen over, when I examined it the stem had been chewed through about 1cm from the earth, a few days later and two more had suffered in the same way.

Anybody know what it is and what i might do to stop it happening to other plants.

Veraveg

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    Sounds like slugs to me - have a good look for slime trails and look under your pots or any hiding places, all it takes is one slug to cause havoc in a greenhouse. I sometimes put some slug pellets around tender plants.

3. veraveg

veraveg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, I thought slugs ate leaves, didn't know they chopped the whole plant down.
    A friend of mine suggested putting a trail of ash around plants as the slugs don't like to go over it, might try that before I resort to the pellets.
    Veraveg

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    There are all sorts of things you can try, like broken eggshells, gravel and copper strips if you aren't keen on pellets - sometimes it's quite easy to find the blighters hiding under pots.