Percy Throwers Garden Centre.

Discussion in 'Retailer Feedback' started by Joolz, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    I'm hoping to go along there tomorrow (Saturday) but thought I'd ask if anyone here had been, and what they thought of it?
    I know they're part of the The Garden Centre Group, and if my local Garden Centre is anything to go by (that's also part of their group) which is pretty good, then I'd hope it was worth the visit.
    So, if you've been, let me know what you thought of it.

Thank You xxx

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    There is a thread somewhere on here where the last person to visit reported on it, very unfavourably if I recall. Certainly we have not been back for a few years now, it was so poor last time we went.

3. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Hiya, and thanks Palustris.

I did a search, but could only find a comment about their customer service/aftersales, and that they rated it.
    I'll have another search, thanks for the heads up. xxx

4. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Well, I've been, suffice to say I wont be going back! It was dreadful, and I mean dreadful. Most of the plants were either dead or dying, generally the plants looked like they needed some serious TLC. There was no warmth to the centre at all, and I don't mean of the heating variety. It all seemed so lack lustre. Hubby described it as a bit of a tat yard. I'd looked forward to going, and yet left after 20 minutes. :( The only members of staff that we could see, (and we looked hard for them!) were at the tills, and they were mainly chatting away to themselves. There was a glum looking lady on the customer services counter, who I was tempted to ask why there was no one outside tending to the plants!

We headed back to my local Garden & Leisure centre, Gardenlands. A garden centre I use and know. The difference between the two is outstanding. Gardenlands (Shipley) is a brilliant store in the Garden Leisure brand, so I am mystified as to why Percy Throwers is in such an awful state. I'm going to send them an email, and let them know just how poor that side of their brand is.

I for one, won't be going back, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone either. Yet Gardenlands, well, if you can get to that one, go! It's a great store, lots of helpful staff, and a really lovely atmosphere.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    I think that is what the thread I was thinking of, said about the place. It was on another site though. Sad, it used to be quite a reasonable place to go.
    If you get up this way again, drive a little further to the West to Guilsford near Welshpool and go to The Dingle Nursery there. Now that is worth a visit.

6. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    I'll keep that one in mind Palustris, I don't mind a trip out, if it's worth it. Thank You. :thmb:

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    What do think of Hall Farm Nursery which is up your way Palustris? I have just spent a happy couple of hours there today? They had an open day for Riding for the Disabled. I came away with quite a few plants. Seemed a nice little nursery. We wished we could fit in the Kniphofia uvaria noblis but at 4 metres we think it might have overwhelmed our garden. Your garden is the right scale for one of those though.
    Percy Throwers was good when the old man was alive. You would see him there when things were quieter and he was quite approachable..and helpful. I remember when it was a really bad winter and all their stuff looked really good when all the other nurseries had stuff that had been killed by cold.

8. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Not been to Hall Farm since just after they won their first Chelsea gold medal and doubled their prices overnight.

9. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That will explain the nice house then.
    They had some plants that were specifically being sold for the charity - on one side of the polytunnel 1/2 price and the other £1. So I got a few bargains.