Perennials from Seed - Beginner Question!

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Posey, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Posey

Posey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Tried googling this but can't find a helpful answer... This is my first year of growing perennials from seed. They are outside at the moment in a selection of 7-10cm pots. For the hardy ones, can I plant them in the ground at any time or should I wait until they get to a certain size??

Thank you!

2. lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,138
    Usual advice is wait till the chance of frosts is over. For most areas that will be mid/end of May. Where do you live?

Where do you have them outside and are they protected at all? If there is a sudden hard frost you could still lose them if they are just on the ground in pots.

3. Posey

Posey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right, I assumed that waiting until after the last frost only applied to non-hardy seedlings.

I'm in Bucks. The hardy seedlings are on the ground against a west facing wall, unprotected. The tender ones go into the summer house overnight. Sounds like I should be putting them all inside overnight though.

4. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I am in Wales, as the plants like have been out all, what passed for winter this year, I have planted mine in the ground, they are all sheltered though by a low wall, the ones in the summer house need "hardening off" leave them out over night, check the forecast for your area, if it`s not going to go very low leave them. I work on the assumption its 2nd week of April, if we get any bad weather it won`t last long, They are hardy perennials and should stand some cold, make sure you plant the tender ones where they will get some protection next "bad" winter.

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    To give a proper answer though we need to know what they are, how advanced they are and what size pots are they in?

Photos would be good too:blue thumb: