Perfect Parsnips

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by fretdancer, Sep 24, 2007.

1. fretdancer

fretdancer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to "test" my parsnips, I understood harvest is ideally late october but I was curious to see how they were doing and decided to give one a "tug".... well the leaves broke off so I dug down a little and uncovered the top - it was about 5 inch accross... so I moved the earth around it to grab hold of it and tugged again, this one was not for shifting, so I dug round it a little more - uncovered about 6 inch - and tugged again - still not coming out... so I dug deeper. Eventually it came out. It was HUGE. Roasted it yesterday for lunch and it was delicious, I pulled 2 others and they are the same size. I cannot believe how good and big my parsnips are.
    I think I grew F1 Gladiator. I think with whats in the ground they will keep me going till xmas.

2. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    .... and beyond by the sounds of it!
    John

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    dancer. It is obligatory to have roast parsnip with Christmas lunch. It is like sprouts. So they better last that long. (Why do kids all hate sprouts and parsnip by the way?) [​IMG] :D

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Fret, I only ever grow Gladiator, they are the earliedt variety I have ever known being ready to harvest in August. A little tip to make harvesting easier for you, if you dig a hole about 4 inches deep around the top of the parsnip and fill it with water a couple of times you will find the plant will come out easily. David.