Persicaria

Discussion in 'Wants Lists' started by Blackthorn, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all. I am looking for P.Amplexicaulis 'Firetail', P.Atrosanguinea and P.Bistorta 'Superba'.
    I cannot find any locally to me and online they are expensive to buy when postage etc is added.
    I am trying to fill a large, damp, wild area of the garden and these would fit the bill perfectly.

Persicaria are very easy to divide and propagate, so I would be extremely grateful if anyone has either of these and I will gladly pay p&p.

Many thanks in advance :)
    Laura

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I moved huge clumps of Persicaria awhile back in Ventnor botanics as it was under some trees in the Australian garden it was moved to a brighter location, I'll see what cultivar it is when I'm next down there as I was offered some but it just didn't really appeal to me...

3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    That would be great Aesculus. :thumb:

There is also another one called P. Atrosanguinea (just added into my original plea) that would be fine also.

They can be thugs and a problem in the wrong situation, but I have about 1/2 an acre to fill. Also using any other large plants and grasses I can get hold of.
    Laura

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Hi Laura. I have P. amplexicaulis ''Firetail' - its lovely and very long flowering. You are welcome to some. I have just had a look at it - its at the back so have never looked at the roots before. It's starting to sprout and the roots look huge, like enormous rhizomes. I presume you cut off a large chunk with sprouts and roots - do you know how to take cuttings.

I also have a very few (4 to be precise) P. bistorta seeds. They came from the RHS, who tend to not quote cultivar names as seeds may not be totally true - so I have no idea if it came from 'Superba' or not, but on the other hand that is the only cultivar I have ever heard of.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I suspect that the seeds are essenially 'Superba' - which is the version I would like. I have just had a look in one of Christopher Lloyds books, in which he says...

P.bistorta ...... is a good sight to see colonising roadside ditches.....'Superba' being the inproved version, ie showier form for gardens.

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Pete, you would be my hero, a chunk with with roots and sprouts would be fine. :gnthb:

Propagation can be done with cuttings, but division is the easiest. I have never tried seeds.

I will PM you my address.

Laura :)

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I will have a go Laura. But not today - I have just been outside - its hailing and freeeeezing. :D

Do you want the seed?

8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I well understand, no rush, whenever you get around to it.

I have not actually seen P. Bistorta Superba in the flesh as it were, but pictures of it look lovely. Good luck with the seeds.

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Laura - its in the post.

I have seen plenty of pictures of P.bistorta and it is lovely. I have also seen it in the flesh at Newby Hall, not far from here. The reason why I was keen to get it, is that it flowers early in the year when not a lot else is about.

"Firetail" is excellent but its a late flowerer, and I am on cold clay so my garden doesn't warm up till late in the season. Consequently the garden is bare earlier in the year, but by September its full of colour.

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    That is wonderful Pete, I am very grateful. You are officially my hero. :ntwrth: I will let you know when it arrives. :)

Have you sown some of the Bistorta seeds?

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Thanks for the comment Blackthorn. Yes I have sowed a few of the P. bistorta.

I was originally attracted to Persicaria because it flowers for a long time. It have a bee in my bonnet about such plants - its called getting value for money! With only a small garden, I tell all my plants that they have to earn their place. No bonuses for failure! There are some amazing plants around when you start looking. One is Salvia microphylla, which flowers for about 6 months of the year. I also had a Salvia coccinea that I grew in a light box. It started to flower in January last year and was still in flower in November.

I was also told by a lady running a garden centre, that a friend of her's had a perennial Wallflower Erysymum 'Bowles Mauve' that had some flowers on it for 10 years contnuously. That takes some beating. But mine died!

12. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I will see if I can root a cutting from mine for you, they take fairly easy. Mine flower all summer, and even all winter if mild. Not this year though. The bees love em and very important for early bumbles.

13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Pete, the persicaria arrived today, a nice fat root with lots of shoots. It is potted up temporarily until the space is ready for it.
    I have sown the bistorta seeds, it will be interesting to see if they are anything like the 'Superba'.

Again, many thanks for them.

I will take a couple of cuttings from the Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve' for you.

Cheers, Laura

14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I am glad they have arrived OK, and many thanks Laura - that would be lovely to get some cuttings.