Persimmons (Sharon Fruit, Kaki etc.) anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Aesculus, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I bought 3 of them out of shear interest from the green grocers (they were only 40p each) and they were really ripe and they are the most amazing thing I've ever eaten:D it's like eating tinned peaches but from a fruit not a tin:heehee: I seem to remember trying one a few years ago and it was like concrete:rolleyespink: so the trick appears to let them go so ripe they fall apart:yay:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e06XZqmonmk[/url]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,095
    Bought on once, a long time ago and wasn't impreesed, so maybe mine was underipe.

Perhaps I should give them another go.
    But I've always taken the view, that if something is an "unusual", fruit, the reason tends to be, because its not that good.:)

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    We have a tree of them somewhere not too far from my parents place(where exactly I'd have to find out...) of which I would regularely eat the fruits.

From my experience I can tell you that unless they are 100% ripe they are a bit of a nightmare in the sense that they make your tongue burn, and they have an awful filamentous hard consistency.

But when they are ripe they nearly melt in your mouth, they are extremely sweet and of a beautiful orange colour outside and inside.

Those two in the picture of your video are a quite unusual shape. Maybe they are just young. Otherwise they are very much the shape of a beef tomato, big and fat!

• Like Like x 1
    • Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
      +400
      Yes, we have a tree in Italy, but nobody likes them and won't eat them. Apparently, you can make them into a chutney or something similar. We have been told to put them in vinegar or to let them ripen until they are almost rotten, either way i'm not sure i'll bother! :eeew:

• Aesculus

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Seriously these are the most delicious things I've ever eaten! I had another one earlier and the skin was all wrinkly and it almost looked like water balloon it was so ripe and it had the most fantastic toffee flavour too it[​IMG]

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      Tesco are selling them at the moment .... I had never tasted (or seen) these before I moved to the UK

another new fruit to me is the Dragon Fruit .... Tesco sometimes stocks these aswell .... unusual taste
      [​IMG]

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      The dragon fruit in spite of looking so nice it really doesn't taste nice (well for me anyway).

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Our local florists/fruit and veg shop has some 'extra large' Sharon Fruit in at the moment, 3 for £1, they are huge, easily the size of an apple/small orange, the ones I've seen in the past are usually the size of plums...

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Sharon fruit is divine when properly ripe.

For an interesting twist, dice them up, along with some firm fleshed fish. Whack it all in a pan with some tomato juice, coriander, chopped chillis and curry powder and simmer til the fish is cooked, then serve with rice as a fruity fish curry. The Sharon fruit breaks down to make the sauce thick and fruity and the flavours permeate into the fish. It's divine.

• Like Like x 1
      • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        I found the same .... hence my quote 'unusual' taste

:D

• Aesculus

Cashier
        Ratings:
        +1,337
        yes I thought they were horrid:heehee: bit like cucumber but not as nice..

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,090
        What's unusual for us is common-as-apples for somewhere else, and probably just as popular. Most of us are still adapted to eating and accepting what grows well in our local area.

I wonder what Thailanders or Brazilians would make of Brussels sprouts or rhubarb? They probably wouldn't believe it could be eaten with relish in the UK!

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        They made wooden golf clubs out of Persimmon wood . A good Persimmon driver was the club of choice until the metal woods appeared in the 1980's . I presume its from the same tree as the fruit , which I had never heard off until today. Must try one............sounds yummy :WINK1:

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,095

Yeah, what I actually meant was, if its a minority fruit over here and has not really caught on, its probably because its not to our taste, in general.

I find quite a lot of the less well know fruit to be really bland tasting, especially dragon fruit, which I'll not bother buying again.

I'm sure in some cases this is due to the fruit being picked before ripe due to transportation, and probably tastes much better eaten straight from the plant.

Harry I think its Dyospyros, (ebony family), so not surprising the wood would make good golf clubs.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I had a Sharron fruit once, september 3rd 1923 I think it was. It was lovely.:thumb: