Pesky Wasps

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sime83, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Sime83

Sime83 Apprentice Gardener

Postman
    Ratings:
    +18
    My apple trees are really heavy with fruit at the moment - I'm picking and using what I can but the odd one that falls only lasts a few hours before the wasps get to them, I took this photo of a wasp sabotaging an apple earlier.

I finally found their nest not too far away - at the garden centre today they had a "Waspinator" (Waspinator) on the reduced counter, I saw someone talking about it on the BBC news a couple of days ago so bought it. Will be putting it up tomorrow, not sure if it will work but certainly worth a try! I hate killing anything so if it works I'll be happy. :dbgrtmb:

Attached Files:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :sunny: You will have to let us know if it works as I have not heard of that... :thumbsup:

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Our fruit is getting attacked as well{mainly pears and plums} and it is a bit heart breaking that it is being done to good fruit but the wasps do do a good deal of good in the garden and on the allotments killing and eating pests so i tend to share some of my fruit with them as i know that most of them will probably be dead in a few weeks anyway so it isn't something that is going to be an ongoing problem for weeks/months.

I only saw the very last few seconds of the article on the telly so wasn't sure what it was about so will be looking at your link and look forward to how you get on with it.:)

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I'm interested too, because whilst I'm pressing apple juice out in the garden hundreds of them come at me from every direction, get into the pulp and juice and fight me for it.

5. bluebonnet

bluebonnet Apprentice Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi we bought a couple of waspinaters last year and they seem to work really well. We hang one by the back door and its funny to watch the wasps response as soon as they notice it hanging there, they soon fly off. We use one outside our caravan too and the same thing happens, the wasps don't linger for long. Well worth a try.

6. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    No idea if it works, but like me, if you are curious about it and want to see one,
    click here

7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    That all seems rather passive, after getting stung on the forearm last week adn having it swell up to twice it's normal size I was thinking of something more like this:

Why Universe Hate Waspinator - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      So if you hung a real wasp nest up they'd be even more convinced.

Better still, a hornets nest. I've watched hornets dive bomb wasps, bit off the head and abdomen & fly away with just the thorax, must be the tasty bit.