Pet safety and online shopping

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Tidemark, Oct 21, 2024 at 5:36 PM.

1. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +845
    Just had a long day trying to sort out a problem I encountered with online shopping and pet safety. I ordered some things from Pets at Home. One item, made by an American company called Petkin and called itchstick was a first time buy for me. We have a rescue cat that habitually licks its fur off down to open weeping sores. The vets have tried everything to help but haven’t managed to stop it. I ordered this stuff as it said that it controlled licking in cats and dogs.

The online info said that it was safe for puppies and kittens over 6 weeks of age but that it was for “external use only”. Now, firstly, tell me how you stop an animal from licking off an unusual substance that has been applied to its fur.

Anyway, I ordered it. When it arrived I looked for the ingredients. Main one listed is Benzocaine. I Googled that. Loads of research papers saying that Benzocaine is toxic to cats, dogs, people etc. It has a rapid and sometimes deadly effect on the blood.

So I went to Pets at Home chatline to tell them that they are selling a toxic product. Waited ten minutes, gave my details, gave my info about Benzocaine. Got cut off. Tried again and got cut off before I could even give my details.

Went to Trading Standards. They said don’t bother us, try the Citizens’ Advice Bureau. Went there. Waited 30 minutes only to be told that apart from telling me my legal rights to a refund all they could do would be to tell Trading Standards, who probably wouldn’t do anything about it.

I contacted Petkin. Only available via their USA website. They wanted to know what state I was in. Despair wasn’t an option. I said I was in UK and worried about the toxicity of Benzocaine and wondering why they were saying that it was for external use when they are selling it for dogs and cats that will lick it off. No reply so far.

:wallbanging:

2. katecat58

katecat58 Gardener

Ratings:
    +369
    If you go to Pets at Home website and scroll down to the bottom there is a link to their Facebook page - might be worth posting there or messaging them?

3. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +845
    Ah, thanks for that. I’m afraid I’m a complete stranger to Facebook. But I shall send them an email though. (Don’t think it will do much good, but I’ll try. :))

4. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    It seems something that maybe you should avoid using on your cat.
    Out of interest I had a Google about it.

Until not long ago it was the main ingredient for a gel for teething babies - rubbed on the gums! but is no longer used for that, but seems to be widely available for pets and many human uses.

If your cat licks it off, then maybe try something else to be safe.

I know that as far as dogs are concerned that Heinz bodies (mentioned below) will form on red blood cells if the eat any form of onion. It can be fatal if they eat sufficient, but if only a little has been eaten, then then blood will fully recover over period of about 6 weeks.

upload_2024-10-21_19-54-13.png

upload_2024-10-21_19-56-41.png

5. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +845
    It’s gone straight into the bin, unused.

I think it is highly irresponsible of shops to sell things to the general public that could be deadly if used without proper veterinary knowledge and training.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +123,254
    I would email Pets at Home to say I was going to the press and also looking into going through the Small Claims Court :paladin: - but I'm a litigious grumpy old man. :old:

• Like Like x 1