Petition to halt Monsanto's takeover bid of pesticides affecting wildlife

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by rosebay, May 27, 2015.

1. rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
    Ratings:
    +1,162
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    I'm not sure what's behind this rosebay?

Not sure that's anywhere near the truth, I've never bought any seeds from either of those companies, there's lots more other companies selling seeds out there :scratch:

3. rosebay

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Ah it would seem that you are not familiar with Monsanto then and their sinister practises. Do you not know that Monsanto is a major bio tech company that is heavily involved in GM seeds/food production and selling their own pesticide sprays to use on them.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,984
    Yes I do know about Monsanto having spent the first few years of my working life selling their products to farmers, I never saw any sinister practices and all the people I met who worked for them seemed honest decent folk. I also know the internet community has it in for them and dispenses many half truths. Monsanto do not have a monopoly on seeds and I can't see this takeover will give them that, so the premise of the petition is wrong (in my opinion anyway for what it's worth).

5. rosebay

Ratings:
    +1,162
    There are very good reasons for objecting to Monsanto's involvement in this.

It would seem that you are not informed of Monsanto's dark history e.g. links with agent orange

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-complete-history-of-monsanto-the-worlds-most-evil-corporation/5387964

More currently though...
    http://rt.com/news/261673-india-gmo-cotton-suicides/

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,984
    But none of that is relevant to the subject of this petition. Can you please tell me what that has to do with: "The proposed takeover between Monsanto and Syngenta is anti-competitive and will give Monsanto a monopoly over global seed sales" ?

7. rosebay

Ratings:
    +1,162
    I thought you would know how Monsanto operate. When they sell their seeds, it comes with a contract to use their pesticides/herbicides, e.g. Roundup. They pose as offering solutions when it is really about having a stranglehold/monopoly and making fast bucks.

This link below is also pertinent to this petition...scandalous!!!
    http://www.naturalnews.com/035688_Monsanto_honey_bees_colony_collapse.html

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,984
    The patent for Roundup (glyphosate) expired 15 years ago, since then several other chemical companies are making it, so hardly a monopoly.

Same as any big multi-national company, they only care about their shareholders.

9. rosebay

Ratings:
    +1,162
    OK then, I stand corrected on that particular herbicide. Nevertheless, Monsanto ties up their GM seed contracts with exclusive use of their own pesticides and herbicides when employing farmers to grow their GM seeds.

Also, I see you make no mention of the very pertinent link I provided above (#7), to do with this petition, re. the scandal involving Monsanto and buying up a bee research company. This ensued when Monsanto was implicated as contributing to a decline in the bee population with the use of their pesticides and herbicides on GM crops. This is sinister and scandalous - clearly they are now in a position to cover their tracks.

Last edited: May 27, 2015