Petrol blower vac

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by thewoodsman, Aug 24, 2010.

1. thewoodsman

thewoodsman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the gardens I work in have a lot of trees and I have finally, after years of raking, decided to invest in a blower/vac. I need something heavy duty that will do beds as well as lawns - has anyone got any recommendations? At the moment I'm thinking Stihl or Husquavarna, but is there anything out there that is as good, only cheaper?

2. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    I own a Stihl BG85 and a Stihl BR550 and would recommend them to anyone. I've used a Ryobi similar in size to the BG85 and a McCullough and neither come close in terms of use/build quality or durability. They're probably fine for home use but the Stihls are bullet proof machines when used everyday. My BG85 is 4 years old and is used many times daily and has had air filter and plug changes annually without putting a foot wrong.

I've got some Husqvarna chainsaws but have never used one of their blowers, wouldn't doubt it's reliability though as they're another solid make.

3. thewoodsman

thewoodsman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - that's what I thought. Both my chainsaw and brushcutter are Stihl and the build quality is unbeatable. My only problem is my chainsaw is very temperamental when it come to starting - it seems to flood at the drop of a hat. Mind you, that seems to happen to me and EVERY chainsaw I use!