Petrol Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Howard, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Howard

Howard Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I am in need of a good quality petrol hedge trimmer. I have hundreds of yards of hedging to keep in order, hence I want a professional quality item.
    I tend to think anything on B&Q shelves is just rubbish, so am a bit lost as to where to look as these pile em high sell cheap outfits have driven the knowledgable folk out of business.
    Any help appreciated.
    Howard

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I reccomend The Husquvarna 325HS99x my old stihl burnt out this june and after the usual deliberation I bought the above.

Stihl recently replaced the old profeshional line up with a new model based on the 27cc domestic HS45. Basicly it is not as powerfull as the old models, very plastiky and with only a fine cut blade option in the 40" single sider option..... Not good!

My husqy starts jerklesly, the blades are farr stiffer than my old stihl, the balance is perfect and it has a blade tip protector, invaluble considering i cut probably several miles or more of low box hedges each season!

Be wary of other makes eg echo or efco as parts availibility is very poor.

Have a look at www.stantonhope.co.uk I buy most of my machines from them and find them usually the cheapest.

[ 07. October 2007, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Pro Gard ]

3. Howard

Howard Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Husqvarna has a good name still, no bad reviews on their equipment. I will investigate further, thanks

4. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Is it just me or do the words petrol hedge trimmer scare anyone else? :eek:

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    If it is something too noisy and which vibrates too much: no,no,no

6. gardenmonkey

gardenmonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Howard.Just joined the site- this is my first reply so I hope you can read it!
    I used to work for a contractor that did hundreds of hedges every year.They used to use Tanaka trimmers which we found very reliable, although if something did go wrong it took ages to get replacement parts.Also having started using a Stihl this season, you really notice the difference in vibration between the ( fairly ) cheap tanaka and the expensive stihl.the stihl virtually cuts out vibration altogether.
    Consider the weight as well.I've got used to it now , but the stihl trimmer is quite a lump to do a long hedge with.
    Best way would be to find a reputable dealer in your area and go try some out. In my experience they're always happy to help and straight talking.

7. Howard

Howard Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i got the husqvarna 99x, it's grrrreeeaaatt.!

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Glad you got sorted, I rate mine very highly and cant actualy find any fault with the desighn or ergonomics.

The modern huskys are built to an amazing build qulity, On the strength of my satisfaction with my husqy hegetrimmer and brush cutter ive just replaced my stihl chainsaws (026 and 361).

i bought a husqy 575 and a 357, both handle perfectly and even the big 575 feels lighter than my old stihls despite the fact its heavyer with farr more power and a 24" bar. The 575 is more akin to a 90cc machine than a 75cc one.