Petunia plant with different coloured flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Jul 22, 2017.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    I don't mean multiple colours on one flower but a plant that has some all purple flowers and some pink flowers.

To explain - one of my petunia plants has some open purple flowers and a number of purple buds coming along, but also some buds almost ready to open which are pink.

How common is this? I always thought that Petunia plants had flowers which were all the same colour. It's not a hybrid to the best of my knowledge.

2. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    Have never seen Petunias with different coloured flowers on one plant. If you can harvest any seeds off them and sow next year, it would be very interesting to see the outcome and if they produce similar results. Who knows, you could have been blessed with a new cultivar! :Wino:

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    I'll certainly harvest some seed, but it's likely that will be of one colour only. I may try some cuttings too - there's no warning on the label saying it's illegal to cultivate them, etc.

Curiously enough, when I bought this particular plant (it was in a tray of six) there was another purple one with separate flowers of different colours on the same plant but in a different tray (I forget what colour the other flowers were). I should have bought that too but I only wanted half a dozen plants.

I'll try and get a photo of it when both coloured flowers are open, should be in a day or two.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
    Ratings:
    +268
    Strangely enough I have the same although mine is separate flowers pink and lilac, I did mean to check in case it was 2 plants in same pot, I will double check them tomorrow and if the rain hasnt destroyed the flowers I will get a pic.
    Mine were from plug plants bought on ebay.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks, mine are definitely all on the same plant - most flowers are purple but the pink ones are on a single stem (an offshoot from the main stem). If it was a tree I would say that the offshoot had been grafted on, but I don't believe that your average garden centre Petunia plant has grafts. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,848
      @TheMadHedger - it's not illegal to take cuttings, no matter what's on the label. It's only if you try to sell the resultant plants and it is protected by PBR that you can get into trouble. If the plant has sported (which happens) then cuttings off the branch would probably produce the same colour. But it's only worth propagating if you think it is better than existing pink ones...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
        +246